Need help identifying injured tort

jalangille

Location (City and/or State)
Ventura, CA
This tort was found by an elderly neighbor. I believe her dog was chewing on it. I took it to the vet and there is some obvious damage to the carapace and plasteron, but otherwise all else is fine. It is active, drinks water and eats, so a good outlook.

I'm not sure what species we have here, and would like some input so that I can ensure it is properly taken care of. I have an older leopard tortoise that we took in as a refugee when it's prior owner moved out out of country, so I feel like I have the basics covered.

PXL_20240130_001957665.MP.jpgPXL_20240130_002012123.jpgPXL_20240130_001947844.MP.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think it's a Greek tortoise. Some type of Tustudo.
But someone else will know better.
100% someone's pet.
It's not native to your area.
Dab a little betadine on the areas. Then keep a little general antibiotic cream on them.
Hopefully he'll recover.
They're very tough creatures.
Once we've established the species. One of us can give you a link to the specific care requirements.
Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the care info:

jalangille

Ventura, CA
This tort was found by an elderly neighbor. I believe her dog was chewing on it. I took it to the vet and there is some obvious damage to the carapace and plasteron, but otherwise all else is fine. It is active, drinks water and eats, so a good outlook.

I'm not sure what species we have here, and would like some input so that I can ensure it is properly taken care of. I have an older leopard tortoise that we took in as a refugee when it's prior owner moved out out of country, so I feel like I have the basics covered.

View attachment 365945View attachment 365946View attachment 365947

jalangille

Ventura, CA
Thanks to you both! I do believe you are correct and this is a Greek tortoise. It has thigh spurs and a hinged rear plasteron. No luck yet finding the owner, so we continue to foster the little one. My children have named it Chewy.

The vet gave us some chlorhexadine for the dabbing and an antibiotic cream. She also gave Chewy an antibiotic injection, and recommended this forum as a good source of info. Thanks again Zeropilot!

Tom, thank you and excellent write up. I built one of your insulated overnight boxes for our Leopard, and it has been great. I just wish I could convince her to go back inside in the evening. It would certainly save me a nightly game of hide and seek through the yard. I have yet to succeed in training the dog to find Lenny for me. The dog is still young, so I have hope for him.

Thanks Again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks to you both! I do believe you are correct and this is a Greek tortoise. It has thigh spurs and a hinged rear plasteron. No luck yet finding the owner, so we continue to foster the little one. My children have named it Chewy.

The vet gave us some chlorhexadine for the dabbing and an antibiotic cream. She also gave Chewy an antibiotic injection, and recommended this forum as a good source of info. Thanks again Zeropilot!

Tom, thank you and excellent write up. I built one of your insulated overnight boxes for our Leopard, and it has been great. I just wish I could convince her to go back inside in the evening. It would certainly save me a nightly game of hide and seek through the yard. I have yet to succeed in training the dog to find Lenny for me. The dog is still young, so I have hope for him.

Thanks Again.
Unfortunately, many (most?) Tortoises don't know what's good for them and will stay out in the elements while there's a perfectly warm and comfortable house nearby.
I have at least one that has to be placed in a night house by hand. Then I place a cement block in front of the door flap to KEEP him inside until morning

jalangille

Ventura, CA
A final update on the tale of Chewy: We found her owner! She escaped about a month ago while her habitat was being cleaned. Her owner put her in the yard (habitat is outside) for 5 minutes and she was gone. The owner confirmed she is a 2 year old Greek Tortoise, and was sold to her as an Ibera subspecies. I've passed on the forum info, including Tom's guide. Thank you all again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A final update on the tale of Chewy: We found her owner! She escaped about a month ago while her habitat was being cleaned. Her owner put her in the yard (habitat is outside) for 5 minutes and she was gone. The owner confirmed she is a 2 year old Greek Tortoise, and was sold to her as an Ibera subspecies. I've passed on the forum info, including Tom's guide. Thank you all again.
That's fantastic.
Thank you so much for caring