Need help (humidity)

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi!

I have an African Hingeback tortoise. While I have a spray mister going 15 seconds every 6 hours, and keep a good temperature, the enclosure (a 55 gallon tank) only ever shows low tropical numbers on the hygrometer (I've used two hygrometers), so I fear he's not getting enough moisture. I've tried leaving the lid open and closed, to no avail.

Please help. I don't want to lose him.

Thanks.

Lisa

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lisa:

The only way I've found to keep the warmth and humidity up in an enclosure is to have it totally covered. Then I pour a pitcherful of water over the substrate and mix it up with my hand until all the substrate is wet. I don't like to use a mister because it just adds cool air to the enclosure. You need to wet the substrate and as it evaporates it adds WARM air to the enclosure. I use radiant heat panels and fluorescent strip lights. With the covered enclosure what little heat comes off the strip light warms up the enclosure substantially. As the substrate dries out I add more water.

Michigan
OK. I'll try that. I'm not sure I like the entire substrate being wet but maybe in the areas where he basks. I'm curious about the radiant heat so I'll check into that.

Thank you so very much.

Lisa

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
OK. I'll try that. I'm not sure I like the entire substrate being wet but maybe in the areas where he basks. I'm curious about the radiant heat so I'll check into that.

Thank you so very much.

Lisa

The entire substrate should be damp, if it is dry on top then it is dessicating. Shell rot is very rare in actuallity, though it is something that many new tort owners are led to believe is a serious risk. Torts spend the vast majority of their time in damp humid micro-climates in the wild, in burrows underground and buried and hiding in low brush and leaf litter. Shell rot is also very easy to treat before it gets bad, while pyramiddal growth is forever. You can trust Yvonne, she has been doing this longer than most of us and she is someone I trust. We are telling you to do what we do, because we have adult healthy torts that have been raised this way. And while I have only one, we are lucky that some like Yvonne and Tom, and some others have had the experience to see what didnt work before they figured out what did.

Michigan
The entire substrate should be damp, if it is dry on top then it is dessicating. Shell rot is very rare in actuallity, though it is something that many new tort owners are led to believe is a serious risk. Torts spend the vast majority of their time in damp humid micro-climates in the wild, in burrows underground and buried and hiding in low brush and leaf litter. Shell rot is also very easy to treat before it gets bad, while pyramiddal growth is forever. You can trust Yvonne, she has been doing this longer than most of us and she is someone I trust. We are telling you to do what we do, because we have adult healthy torts that have been raised this way. And while I have only one, we are lucky that some like Yvonne and Tom, and some others have had the experience to see what didnt work before they figured out what did.

Ok, thank you.