Need help getting outdoor RES ready for winter in sacramento

Laura S

I have 3 RES's outside in a converted spa. Now that its getting cooler, do I need a heater? Any specific substrate? I'm in Sacramento so no chance of freezing, but water is getting very cold. They are about 15 yrs old, and until 5 months ago were always inside.

Laura S

Yes they can bask on rocks and log, but as of now no soil of any kind. What type/brand of heater would you recommend ?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I know I might let them hibernate but instead just cover it with clear plastic and let the sun heat it . But you'll still have to feed them

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pond-supplies/pond-heaters#!pond-heaters

I have ZERO to offer in the way of pond heaters....I have not reached that moment yet, but here is where I will begin to shop when I do....just offering up for reference and a starting point....I do not have a recommendation for a brand of heating element...I just know that heat is necessary for a turtle that is not brumating...and I also know that if you are going to support a turtle for hibernation, the outdoor set up is of utmost importance...mud and depth and location of the pond all are factors in a successful set up for a turtle for brumate....

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
As long as you keep the bottom of the enclosure from freezing, ice reaching the turtle. You don't need anything for them to bury into like mud. It can be bare bottom. Just need to make sure area at top stays open so gasses dont build up. That is what pond heaters are meant for. They float on top to keep a hole open on the ice.

Anyway you being in Sacramento what do you have to do? Nothing, absolutely nothing. If the turtles get a little sluggish and dont eat thats fine. Let them go and dont worry. 50 degrees is where they will eat again.

Laura S

I ended up with an aquarium heater large enough to ( for now ) keep them cozy. Being this is their first winter outdoors, I don't want to stress them with any hibernation possibilities. Eating a bit less but well. At this point haven't added any additional substrate, and will continue to look at future ideas. They appear to have acclimated to the new environment for now.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I do nothing for my water turtles . They slow down stop eating . I may not see them for days . On cold sunny days they will all come out and bask . If I see them I feed them, if not I don't feed them . Just make sure the pond doesn't freeze .

Jeanettics

Sacramento, CA
Reviving an old thread here but I just recently adopted a 10yo RES (7in male). He’s currently in a 110gal stock tank in the backyard. I’m in Davis so I’m neighbors with Sacramento.
Do I need a heater?

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Reviving an old thread here but I just recently adopted a 10yo RES (7in male). He’s currently in a 110gal stock tank in the backyard. I’m in Davis so I’m neighbors with Sacramento.
Do I need a heater?
No you do not red ear Sliders handle our temps just fine year round. As said above just stop feeding for the winter.