Need Help For: Leopard Tortoise Enclosure, Pyramding, and Diet...

TortoiseNup

Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
Hi,
I'm a new tortoise owner, and so far I've had this Leopard Tortoise for about 6 months.
When I got it, it was around 2 years old already, but I don't know it's birthday. It's also a female.
It was bought by a zookeeper, who has a lot of reptiles, who bought it of a farmer or whatever in Germany, and that's what I know.
The zookeeper told my parents (who bought it), that the tortoise should eat "agrobs testudo".
He also told them that when it's summer, you can mix up its diet, so it can eat some greens, like goutweed.
He also told that it should never get close to water since it'll get sick then.
He told them about pyramiding and told that if we just throw some calcium bones in there, it should be fine.
The last thing he told us is that it should NEVER get near something moist or humid, since it will get sick too, so keeping it all dry is the way to do it.
Now, I have some pictures, and well you can look at those if you want, but read me out first.
The first one is pretty obvious, it's the enclosure. I'm planning to make a new one, which is gonna be bigger and better, but I need to know exactly what I need. It's an indoor enclosure since the weather here in Denmark is pretty shitty sometimes. I've seen a lot of people say that humid is the key to prevent pyramiding. But again, that's the opposite I was told, but I just want to get the right thing to know. That's why I'm asking you guys/girls.
Other suggestions are VERY welcome.
The next thing is soaking. I again got told that water will make it sick unless it drinks it. But I've seen a lot of people talk about soaking. Therefore, my question is, should I soak a Leopard, and if so, for how long, what warmth of the water, and how much?
Next thing is: Diet. Since it's been really warm lately, I've let it outside, and of course watched it carefully. It really loves grass, and goutweed, so I'm wondering what to actually feed it, because it doesn't really seem to be eating the "agrobs testudo" (I don't know what it's called). Is there something much much better that it can eat? Because well lately I've been noticing that the scutes raised a little (atleast I think that). The darker picture below is from when I got it, and the brighter one from the side is one I just took. To me atleast, it looks like the scutes have raised, and I'm panicing like crazy! What am I supossed to do..?
Again, help is VERY welcome.
And a little question. What about the lights? I've been told to shut them off at night, and I currently do, but I don't know if it's too cold. My room tempeture is always around 20 degrees celsius, so I think that's fine? I don't know.
Anyways, if you could help please do, and yes, I know it would just be better to sell it, since I am an extermly irresponsible owner, but I really love it, and I really want to care for it, and I feel like I can do it, but I just need my info straight first.
I'll also update you all if I get any responses, and yeah...
That's it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180430_150052 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180430_150052 (1).jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20180430_150048 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180430_150048 (1).jpg
    4 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20171225_153938.jpg
    IMG_20171225_153938.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The info he gave you was wrong. No doubt about it.
If it's just over three years olds, it's still too young to positively say it's a female. Show us a pic KFC it's under side tail area.
At this size it can have a warm humid hide. It will need a clay saucer large enough to get into for water and an enclosure that is at least 4-5 x 6-8 feet and larger when it reaches around 11 inches long is it's not that size now. If so it needs a 4-5x10-12 foot.
Read the caresheet under the leopard or sulcata section care is the same.
S/he looks great for the care she's been getting before you.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Give these a read, and change your care ASAP. you need 80% humidity with temps going no lower than 27 in the cool side, with a basking spot of 36-37. You need a large, shallow water bowl (terra cotta saucer), with 4 inches of a damp substrate like orchid bark, coco coir, peat moss, or cypress mulch.
Pyramiding is caused by lack of humidity.
Please give those links a read.

daniellenc

Maryland
Definitely ditch the sand too and read the links above. Bad information is rampant but I promise daily soaks of 30-45 minutes in water around 105 degrees is great and will prevent further pyramiding. Your bathtub is great for daily soaks btw unless you're squeamish about sharing with your tort. Otherwise a large rubbermaid bin can be used to soak. And for being kept dry his shell isn't horrible at all though until he's older you can't confirm he is male.

TortoiseNup

Denmark
Okay, sorry I'm only replying now, but I've been really busy.
I'm sorry I didn't read the articles, I'm very new and very confused on how to use this website, for now at least.
Soooo... My question is, for the new enclosure, should it be open or not? Last time I had glass on the side it tried to escape all of the time.
My other question is, is that if I put some stones or something with some moss inside of them, and spray a lot of water and stuff in the enclosure if it's closed, will I get humid enough? If not, what can I do to keep it mostly humid all the time?
I will, of course, get rid of the sand and hay, and put some coco coir or something in there (as the other thread stated)
My next thing is diet. Is having some of those pills things fine, and then at some other part of the enclosure have some goutweed, dandelions, and some grass? I'm thinking that should be fine, but I am not sure.
I also have calcium bones already, and I am of course planning to get some more to it. I also read about the calcium powder stuff, which I'm thinking I could put in the food around once a week, so it will eat it.
The next thing is soaking... I tried today, but it absolutely hated it. I don't know if it wasn't shallow enough or warm enough, but at the moment I put it in, it tried to escape immediately. I don't know what to do there either...
The last thing is warmth. If it needs to be hot at night too, (around 80 degrees Fahrenheit), should I have a lamp for light, and a separate one for heat? Right now I have a combined one, and I am also wondering that if I need a closed enclosure, how long away from the tort should the lamp/heat thingy be?
Also, should I put a stone underneath the basking spot? I've seen some people say this, but it seems like this can burn the tortoise, but I am not sure.
Anyways, I'm sorry for the late reply, and it should be stated that English isn't my first language, so therefore I might have misunderstood something, but this is what I understood.