Need egg advice

LynS

Location (City and/or State)
Meopham Kent
My large and very old (in her 70s) Spur thigh has laid eggs while I have been on holiday . The lady feeding her while I was away found the clutch , some were broken which she removed . They were not buried but in the hay in her house. This year is the only time she has been in the presence of another tortoise. My friend has what she thought to be a 25yr old female (perhaps not) we arranged tortoise play date to see if they got on.
I have removed them , cleaned them and buried them in a container with a lamp . Unfortunately because I was away I. Think they were too cold, but will see . Any advice or help please .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try to maintain a steady temperature of about 85°F and don't rotate the eggs. Usually takes about three months.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Congrats. Keep us posted. To ensure egg is not moved get a soft pencil and mark an X on top of each and keep them cosy and hope you have success.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My large and very old (in her 70s) Spur thigh has laid eggs while I have been on holiday . The lady feeding her while I was away found the clutch , some were broken which she removed . They were not buried but in the hay in her house. This year is the only time she has been in the presence of another tortoise. My friend has what she thought to be a 25yr old female (perhaps not) we arranged tortoise play date to see if they got on.
I have removed them , cleaned them and buried them in a container with a lamp . Unfortunately because I was away I. Think they were too cold, but will see . Any advice or help please .
Its fine to leave them cold for weeks or months before incubation.

Buried in a container with a lamp is not likely to work. I would remove that lamp ASAP as it is likely to overheat the eggs, which would kill the embryos. Temporarily cold is fine, but just a little too hot is death to the eggs. You can get an incubator fairly cheaply at a place that sells horse and live stock food and equipment.

Check this out: