NEED CREATIVE CALCIUM ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tatum has stopped eating his food if it has ground cuttlebone or calD3 on it :( He has a cuttlebone also, but he seldom chews on it. I have tried hiding it in his greens, he is not easily fooled. He is not much for the Mazuri either, tried hinding it there also? Any suggestions? I use Reptile Calcium w/D3.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How bout putting some in a strawberry or in banana ( a couple bites worth, not alot)?

Maybe some of the others will have suggestions :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try using smaller quantities. Just a tiny pinch mixed in with a load of greens should not even be noticeable. I would keep putting a pile of the same stuff with the same amount of calcium mixed in every day until he ate it. Hunger works wonders as a motivator. I have never encountered this problem. I wonder what the difference is. You are not alone. We hear this on TFO from time to time. I just wonder what I am doing differently...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as he can have it, I will try it:D He is a 1 year old leopard. Is it okay for him to have a couple bites of either? I tried canned pumpkin just as a treat, didn't want that either.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
wellington said:
Tatum has stopped eating his food if it has ground cuttlebone or calD3 on it :( He has a cuttlebone also, but he seldom chews on it. I have tried hiding it in his greens, he is not easily fooled. He is not much for the Mazuri either, tried hinding it there also? Any suggestions? I use Reptile Calcium w/D3.

Maybe you're offering it too often? Some tortoises don't mind having calcium/D3 sprinkled on their food several times a week or even everyday, but others either don't want or don't need it that often. Try reducing the number of times per week you add the supplement, and see what happens. Maybe if he feeds on plain greens 5 or 6 days a week, he won't mind getting some on there once or twice per week. Maybe you could even gradually increase how often you add it, as he gets used to it.

Another possibility is that you are putting too much on there. Maybe if you reduce how much you sprinkle, it won't taste as bitter.

BTW - It doesn't take much calcium/D3 to get the tortoise what it needs. Actually, although it's hard to overdose on calcium, it is possible to overdose on vitamin D3. Too much D3 can cause joint problems. Vitamin D3 is fat soluble, which allows animals to store it in their bodies. However, unlike vitamin C, for example, which is water soluble, excess amounts are not excreted in the urine, and can accumulate to dangerous levels.

So, take care not offer it too frequently. Three times a week should be plenty most of the time for a healthy tortoise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I only use added calcium with the RFs here from time to time...because they came to me a little under the weather and pyramided...one of them does not toss his head at her food when I sprinkle the calcium...the rufian though will absolutely toss his head and stomp off and sit at the other end of his enclosure and will not touch the stuff on his green food (now, he will from time to time eat it from the cuttlebone when I put it in there) he will however eat it without hesitation when it is on fruit....

So, just try some diff stuff....good luck to ya. Yes, a bite or two of fruit won't cause harm to your tortoise....:D

CaptainPugwash'sMum

5 Year Member
I'm not even pretending to be close to "expert" status, but I had this problem too - problem solved by mixing the calcium powder with a spoonful of baby food...Captain Pugwash loves the stuff! (he does look at me as though he knows he's been tricked though) xx

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Also, I wonder if covering the stuff up would help. In other words, instead of sprinkling it over the surface, try sprinkling it over some greens, and then add another layer of greens on top of that. That way, the tortoise might start eating, and then ingest the supplement despite himself. :)

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
good advice from everyone on here! I'd leave the cuttlebone as you said he is eating it on it's own...they should know or feel if they need extra calcium but if you feel it's not getting enough then I'd try other things like everyone else on here...adding very little or giving it on a treat =) gluck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ascott said:
Yes, a bite or two of fruit won't cause harm to your tortoise....:D

OMG!!!!! NOOOO!!!!! The sky will fall!

:D Just kiddin'...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Will he eat cactus pads, either diced into little squares (1mm) or shredded up into a gooey mess? Cactus pads have a lot of calcium in them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He does eat some cactus pads chopped up. I have done most of the above except, Putting in water, the fruit and putting just a little on each day. I usually sprinkle quite a bit twice a week. I haven't done the baby food, but I did try the canned pumpkin and mushy Mazuri, which he didn't eat either. I will keep trying all suggestions until I win:D
Thanks everyone. Any more suggestions are welcomed.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Terry Allan Hall said:
Will he eat cactus pads, either diced into little squares (1mm) or shredded up into a gooey mess? Cactus pads have a lot of calcium in them.

I thought prickly pear cacti (Opuntia) turned out to be a poor source of calcium, because although they have a lot of it, most of it is bound up as calcium oxalate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

I thought prickly pear cacti (Opuntia) turned out to be a poor source of calcium, because although they have a lot of it, most of it is bound up as calcium oxalate.

Does anyone know? I still would try giving cal/calD3 anyway, but I will feed more cactus if it is a GOOD source for them and not a POOR source due to bound up calcium oxalate.:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=262

I would have to say that cactus is a great food to offer....I would also remind all that if we feed items as part of a varied diet then our tortoise will benefit greatly....cactus is a great source of calcium and water/hydration and the positive (in my opinion :D) out weights the negative....and I would not ever feed only cactus nor would I only feed one food type all of the time--only...

Also, if you do give a large meal of cactus to a tortoise...it can have a laxative affect... sometimes that is good (like prior to brumation to aid in clearing the plumbing :p).

Geo is right in that you would not want to OVER do the cactus, also the same with any one food item.... :D

To me it is not the same as fruit treats but can be offered a bit more than fruit...but not as much as dark leafy greens and weeds...you know?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Not that I've read recently.

There are older sources that indicate that the calcum is bound up as calcium oxalate, but I understand that that is in dispute these days.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great, thanks for the quick response and clarity. He does get a good varied diet. But not much cactus. About once a week or less. It is not in abundant here, but I do have some on it's way, as i have half a pad left. I will up the amount some. I plan on growing my own, once it is warm enough, and no cold spells forecasted any time soon. It is suppose to be zone 5 hardy, so we'll see.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.