Need advice on caring for baby sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlywelch

5 Year Member
Hi everyone so I'm very new to having a tortoise I have a Africa sulcarta tortoise we had giving a name but now need a unisex name as being told the sex we have been given is wrong as 2 young 2 told the sex and all the other advice is wrong 2 we having told what he/she can eat by the people we got him/she from but people have sed being giving wrong advice n I'm 2 scared to feed him in case I'm doing it wrong he is about 8 weeks old would like some advice please thanks

tortie6778

5 Year Member
Need advice

I feed my sulcata alittle fresh romain on occasion like 2x a week also I feed him kale and collard greens mixed with some cut squash or carrots and that's what he eats on a daily basis unless I feed him romain. I also always give him access to timmothy hay and I let him roam around outside for awhile and he tends to much on some grass. For hydration I'd soak him at least 1x a week in a bowl of water must be shallow but I also give him a water bowl in his enclosure but not all day because I heard they can get respitory infections so I avoid that. That's about it it's been pretty successful for me and he hasn't developed pyramiding since I put him on that. I also would recommend you check out forms on what to feed sulcatas because there is much more you can feed him.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
RE: Need advice

Go to the Sulcata Section and start READING! :) At the top there is a thread about How to Raise a baby Sulcata.. start there..
for a diet.. they need a variety of mixed weeds, greens and grass to graze on. When he is outside.. which is best, he needs a Safe Secure enclosure. He also needs to be humid and not too dry. but not wet and cold.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Take a look at Toms threads below in my post for some proper housing. Then check out the tortoisetable.org for edible flower, weeds and greens ideas. Also, Mazuri tortoise chow is a good item to add to their diet a couple times a week.lots of natural weeds, mulberry, hibicus, rose of Sharon, optunia cactus pads, dandelion, clover, just to name a few. Also from the grocery stores, spring mix, collards greens, mustard greens, kale, endive, water cress. A mixture of as many different things is a good diet.

carlywelch

5 Year Member
Need advice

Thanks I've been told I could give him/she carrot tops, hay lettuce banana as a treat n is his fav and another stuff should b getting a list soon from the shop got him/her from I know Not 2 give them iceberg lettuce tomatoes n cucumber

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Carly:

Don't give your baby carrot tops, and I doubt he'll be able to eat hay until he's a couple years of age.

I'm pretty sure that there is a list of foods for baby sulcatas in the "important threads" section at the top of the Sulcata Tortoise part of the Forum.

carlywelch

5 Year Member
I was just going by wot load of different website was going by thought if a load of them was saying it thought it ment they could all so my mother alaw said she use 2 give it 2 her tortoise she had

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need you to type out your posts with punctuation and sentence structure please. Its hurts my old fashioned brain trying to figure out what you are trying to ask...

Yvonne, what is wrong with carrot tops?

squancho

5 Year Member
Ty Tom, 2 is not a word. In my opinion I would soak them daily, not once a week. Especially at this age. By the time you see any sign of dehydration it woul be to late when its this small.

Status
Not open for further replies.