Need Advice - Housing 2 grown males together

ATXTortoises

5 Year Member
I have been offered a large male that I haven't seen yet. I currently have a 12" male in an outdoor enclosure. Does anyone have experience introducing a new male into the mix? Good idea or bad idea?

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I have done this with Brazilian Redfoots in the past with bad results. I currently have 2.1 together with no issues and 3.0 together with some bullying issues but nothing earth shattering. When I put the 2 males with the other 3 all hell broke loose. I had to separate them immediately. I don't think that it's the greatest idea, but if you have a big enough area and if they aren't Brazilian Redfoots then you might be alright.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Redfooted tortoises sometimes get along together better than other species. If you want to try to work it out the best way to introduce them is in neutral territory. If you add a new tortoise to your existing tortoise's territory the existing guy may try to chase the new one out.

I think that if you have a big enough enclosure with quite a few plants, bushes and trees, you have a better chance of them working out their territories and getting along ok.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Yvonne was correct.. remove the females and they don't have anything to fight over. Then when the older resident gets used to the new guy you can put the girls back in and they'll take turns.

I've never had any issues as long as they all are the same size basically.

And I've never had any issues with the Brazilians either - the new one is in lower right. [ I was monitoring the situation ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K50o5oMF6l4

And yes the enclosure is something like 12' x 20'...

ATXTortoises

5 Year Member
Luckily there are NO females in the mix at all...and my enclosure is 6' X 25' I think. Plenty of hides etc. We'll see how it goes.