Two males yellow foot and one female red foot: is it a good idea?

donatello-the-yf

Location (City and/or State)
Brazil
Hi people!

So I've Donatello, a 12.5" male yellow foot tortoise that has always lived by itself in his 19 years of life. I am moving now for a house that has an enclosure with around 30 m^2 that I will turn into a garden with grass, vegetables, and fruit trees. As I am moving, my family wants to give me another male yellow foot tortoise (I think it must be 14.7") and a female red foot tortoise (kind of 11.8").

I must say that Donatello became very territorialist in the last few years. Also, I've already seen the other male "bullying" the female, I think because of food scarcity. I think they are not treated well now, but with me, they could go better. But I am worried that two males and a female will be problematic.

I've read some of the forum posts of similar scenarios involving red foots concerning to the proportion of males and females and males living together. But I would like to know if, considering the size of the enclosure, the ambient, and the better disponibility of food, I could go on with this idea or if should drop this and stick only with Donatello.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi people!

So I've Donatello, a 12.5" male yellow foot tortoise that has always lived by itself in his 19 years of life. I am moving now for a house that has an enclosure with around 30 m^2 that I will turn into a garden with grass, vegetables, and fruit trees. As I am moving, my family wants to give me another male yellow foot tortoise (I think it must be 14.7") and a female red foot tortoise (kind of 11.8").

I must say that Donatello became very territorialist in the last few years. Also, I've already seen the other male "bullying" the female, I think because of food scarcity. I think they are not treated well now, but with me, they could go better. But I am worried that two males and a female will be problematic.

I've read some of the forum posts of similar scenarios involving red foots concerning to the proportion of males and females and males living together. But I would like to know if, considering the size of the enclosure, the ambient, and the better disponibility of food, I could go on with this idea or if should drop this and stick only with Donatello.
House them all separately. Species should Neer be mixed, and tortoise should never be kept in pairs. This group will be happiest alone.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Agreed
The males will need separate enclosures. With good sight barriers.
The female will also need her own enclosure.
It's also a great idea to keep the two new torts far away from the existing Yellowfoot for a few months for a general quarantine period..
You're in Brazil.
Get creative and set up a larger enclosure with three separate chambers.
I'm doing the same thing right now with four Redfoot that must be separated permanently.
Since your outside weather is perfect for those species, take advantage of it

donatello-the-yf

Brazil
Understood. I thought, as red and yellow foot are, in general, more sociable, the scenario could fit.

About the three chambers, as my enclosure area have only around 30 m^2, would 10 m^2 for each be a good idea? It seems small for me.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Donatello deserves his nice big new habitat all to himself. That's what I think, especially if he is already acting territorial. Trespassers will be persecuted!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Understood. I thought, as red and yellow foot are, in general, more sociable, the scenario could fit.

About the three chambers, as my enclosure area have only around 30 m^2, would 10 m^2 for each be a good idea? It seems small for me.
They ARE more social in the way that they show a little less aggressive behavior. But once you know what to look for, even Redfoot are best kept singly. Or in very large areas as a male with at least 3 females. Or all females. But again, at least 4.

donatello-the-yf

Brazil
Thanks, people!

I may have not been clear, but Donatello isn't in the place I am moving to yet. The other two are.

I've been dreaming of having the three tortoises, but I will deeply consider the points brought here.

One general question: about quarantines, how do they work? Is there a resource that you can send me about it?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would keep any newly acquired tortoise completely separate from any others for at least six months. But then I would also have to figure out how to keep them all after that, knowing the importance of certain rules of group keeping and of enough space for each tortoise if the space has to be divided.

donatello-the-yf

Brazil
If, after considerable reasoning, I decide to keep the three, and doing the recommended quarantine, I was thinking to divide the enclosure in three equal parts, like the image below.
0qer95ovgyy41.jpg

So, keeping them in those separeted spaces and applying measures like:
  • handling them separetely;
  • cleaning properly enclosure sections and utensils (as seen in here);
would it already be considered a quarantine? Or it would be insufficient and I should totally separe them in far enclosures?