Need advice for choosing my first tortoise

flovdome

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
I'm planning to purchase my first tortoise, but I'm still deciding which one is more suitable for the place i can provide.

I've been searching informations about hermann , russian, red foot/cherry head and yellow foot, but still can't decide (and I'm open for other breeds). So i hope i can get advice here.

I live in east java, Indonesia. In here only have 2 seasons (summer and rainy) and i can keep the tortoise inside or outside(small balcony with direct sunlight). For now i can only build 1 enclosure.

Sorry for my bad english.
Thank you

WillB

New York City
Hi flovdome!

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest looking into all the different care sheets on this forum to start to get an understanding of the environments and spaces most suitable for each of the species.

I'm not sure redfoots or yellowfoots may be a good option if you can only keep them outside on a small balcony since they are significantly bigger than Hermanns or Russians and require much more space . You can also consider greek tortoises as a potential option.

One advice I would give is to read the care sheets carefully to make sure you have all the right equipment/set-up before you buy the tortoise to avoid buying too many useless gadgets like I did a year ago!

All the best to your quest to be a tortoise owner and I'm sure other forum members can help you with more specific questions you have!

Best,
Will

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Redfoots (and yellowfoots) need large space to roam and if kept inside it should be room-size enclosure (like 5x5 meters). Also, they do best with a constant humidity closer to 80-90% and temperatures of 27-29C all year round, day and night. They need shade and aren't very bold (especially yellowfoots who live in the deep forest floor). While climate in your area suits them (I suppose), space requirements are not.

Native to Indonesia species (like Forsten's) are endangered. And fairly large, so probably a no-go too.

Burmese stars might be a good choice:

Russians and Hermann's are temperate species and I'm not sure if your climate is comfortable for them. Russians need rather large (for their size) enclosures as well.

The closer the natural habitat of a specie (temperatures, humidity, available plants) to your native climate the easier it would be to raise a tortoise. I have a redfoot in a mediterranean climate (hot dry summers and cold winters) and it's a neverending pain to provide optimal conditions.

I hope more experienced owners can give you a better advice as my knowledge is limited.

Jennpaints

Pasadena, MD
Yellowfoots and redfoots need a lot of space outside in warmer months. As others suggested, it would be important to look at different care sheets and diet to help make your decision. Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello!
Redfoots (and yellowfoots) need large space to roam and if kept inside it should be room-size enclosure (like 5x5 meters). Also, they do best with a constant humidity closer to 80-90% and temperatures of 27-29C all year round, day and night. They need shade and aren't very bold (especially yellowfoots who live in the deep forest floor). While climate in your area suits them (I suppose), space requirements are not.

Native to Indonesia species (like Forsten's) are endangered. And fairly large, so probably a no-go too.

Russians and Hermann's are temperate species and I'm not sure if your climate is comfortable for them. Russians need rather large (for their size) enclosures as well.

The closer the natural habitat of a specie (temperatures, humidity, available plants) to your native climate the easier it would be to raise a tortoise. I have a redfoot in a mediterranean climate (hot dry summers and cold winters) and it's a neverending pain to provide optimal conditions.

I hope more experienced owners can give you a better advice as my knowledge is limited.
Totally agree with this.

flovdome

Indonesia
Hello!

Thank you for the advice.

If climate is the problems for russian and hermann then i will shift my focus to forest tortoise and i also considering burmese star (I'll start look into it), but can burmese get bladder stone like all others dessert tortoise? (I'm so afraid of that)

I have quite large space for balcony around 4,5 x 3,5 meter, i think it's enough for sometimes while i work something out.

And thank you for all the advices

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the advice.

If climate is the problems for russian and hermann then i will shift my focus to forest tortoise and i also considering burmese star (I'll start look into it), but can burmese get bladder stone like all others dessert tortoise? (I'm so afraid of that)

I have quite large space for balcony around 4,5 x 3,5 meter, i think it's enough for sometimes while i work something out.

And thank you for all the advices
There is only one species of desert tortoise, and they recently made it in to two species: Gopherus agassizii and Goherus morafkai. No other species are desert species. Any species can get bladder stones with the wrong care. Burmese stars are not prone to bladder stones. Prevent bladder stones for any species with good hydration and avoiding too much protein in the diet.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
There is only one species of desert tortoise, and they recently made it in to two species: Gopherus agassizii and Goherus morafkai. No other species are desert species. Any species can get bladder stones with the wrong care. Burmese stars are not prone to bladder stones. Prevent bladder stones for any species with good hydration and avoiding too much protein in the diet.