Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sulphur, LA
1st question

Mr. Donny's carapace/plastron measurements:
3 x 3.75 x 1.75 -- inches of course

Does the 6.75 diameter cup seem good?

Reptile Shipping Kit # 3 (9x9x9)​

• One 9x9x9 insulated shipping box (FedEx approved to ship your reptiles)
  • One 6.75" dia 32oz clear punched deli cup with lid
  • One premium natural cotton reptile bag (12x16)
  • One 40 hr heat pack or three Thermafreeze Cold Cells (choose from drop-down box above)
  • One FedEx label pouch - if no label pouch is needed please select NO from the dropdown box.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
2nd question

I'm thinking yes on the heat pack?
It's a no brainer but I'm nervous

Departure
Wed, March 27th

High - 55
Low - 41

Arrival
Thursday, March 28th

27th
Low - 50

28th
High - 74 (but will be cooler obviously because of AM temp)
(I am picking up at the Fedex location asap)

I think I just answered my own question......🤦‍♀️

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
1st question

• One 40 hr heat pack or three Thermafreeze Cold Cells (choose from drop-down box above)
  • One FedEx label pouch - if no label pouch is needed please select NO from the dropdown box.
It sounds right to me, but I am curious what experienced folks have to say. Anyone?

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
2nd question

I'm thinking yes on the heat pack?
It's a no brainer but I'm nervous

Departure
Wed, March 27th

High - 55
Low - 41

Arrival
Thursday, March 28th

27th
Low - 50

28th
High - 74 (but will be cooler obviously because of AM temp)
(I am picking up at the Fedex location asap)

I think I just answered my own question......🤦‍♀️
I think the heating pack is a good idea.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
It sounds right to me, but I am curious what experienced folks have to say. Anyone?
And don't worry I'm going to walk you through the packing etc. We can do a video call and will do it together lol

zovick

10 Year Member!
1st question

I would try to get a deeper deli cup. The 6.67" diameter 32 oz. deli cups are only 2" deep. I don't think the tortoise will fit in it if you put any kind of mulch in it or put the tortoise in the cloth bag. The 6.67" diameter 48 oz. deli cups are 3.25" deep.

If you can't get a deeper deli cup, you can use a rubbermaid or other brand food storage container of the appropriate size or even a cottage cheese container or a margarine tub. For small tortoises like the one you are shipping, you could simply put the tortoise in the cloth bag with a damp paper towel and not use any container. Just pack a good layer of shredded newspapers under, around, and on top of the bag to prevent the animal from bouncing around in transit.

The heat packs get very hot and you must make sure that any heat pack used does not come into direct contact with the tortoise. Activate the heat pack, put it in the bottom or against one side of the box and then put a piece of cardboard, a layer of newspapers or some paper towels between the heat pack and the deli cup (if you you use one).

Good luck.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
I would try to get a deeper deli cup. The 6.67" diameter 32 oz. deli cups are only 2" deep. I don't think the tortoise will fit in it if you put any kind of mulch in it or put the tortoise in the cloth bag. The 6.67" diameter 48 oz. deli cups are 3.25" deep.

If you can't get a deeper deli cup, you can use a rubbermaid or other brand food storage container of the appropriate size or even a cottage cheese container or a margarine tub. For small tortoises like the one you are shipping, you could simply put the tortoise in the cloth bag with a damp paper towel and not use any container. Just pack a good layer of shredded newspapers under, around, and on top of the bag to prevent the animal from bouncing around in transit.

The heat packs get very hot and you must make sure that any heat pack used does not come into direct contact with the tortoise. Activate the heat pack, put it in the bottom or against one side of the box and then put a piece of cardboard, a layer of newspapers or some paper towels between the heat pack and the deli cup (if you you use one).

Good luck.
Oh my gosh, yeah I was trying to find the height of it. Ok I found the 48 oz one! I'm going to double and triple check. Thank you so much for all the info! We appreciate you!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Oh my gosh, yeah I was trying to find the height of it. Ok I found the 48 oz one! I'm going to double and triple check. Thank you so much for all the info! We appreciate you!
The diameter of both deli cups I mentioned in my post above should read 6.75" not 6.67". Don't know why that happened.

Also of you need to use one of the other options I mentioned, you can perforate the plastic very easily with a small soldering iron, a wood burning tool, or even a hot nail.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
The diameter of both deli cups I mentioned in my post above should read 6.75" not 6.67". Don't know why that happened.

Also of you need to use one of the other options I mentioned, you can perforate the plastic very easily with a small soldering iron, a wood burning tool, or even a hot nail.
I didn't even notice the typo!

I ended up getting that same 9x9x9 kit, but getting the 48 oz cup separately. Good thing we can do a trial fitting for Mr. Donny. 😂

zovick

10 Year Member!
I didn't even notice the typo!

I ended up getting that same 9x9x9 kit, but getting the 48 oz cup separately. Good thing we can do a trial fitting for Mr. Donny. 😂
All sounds good.

What day are you planning to do the shipping? I don't recommend shipping via any overnight service after Wednesday of the planned week. Unexpected flight delays can sometimes cause animals to sit over a weekend if they are shipped on Thursdays or Fridays. I know this because it has happened to me more than once. The animals all arrived OK, but I was a nervous wreck for 3-4 days each time.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
All sounds good.

What day are you planning to do the shipping? I don't recommend shipping via any overnight service after Wednesday of the planned week. Unexpected flight delays can sometimes cause animals to sit over a weekend if they are shipped on Thursdays or Fridays. I know this because it has happened to me more than once. The animals all arrived OK, but I was a nervous wreck for 3-4 days each time.

The site as well as all of you said Tuesday or Wednesday. Molly will ship Wednesday and will be bringing Donny closest to the last shipment of the day which is 6:15 pm.

I hope there's no delays, I will definitely be a wreck! My problem isn't the shipping or the trucks or the 'being in a box', it's the handlers that possibly don't care. I think only animal loving human beings with a conscience should be allowed to touch those packages.

zovick

10 Year Member!
The site as well as all of you said Tuesday or Wednesday. Molly will ship Wednesday and will be bringing Donny closest to the last shipment of the day which is 6:15 pm.

I hope there's no delays, I will definitely be a wreck! My problem isn't the shipping or the trucks or the 'being in a box', it's the handlers that possibly don't care. I think only animal loving human beings with a conscience should be allowed to touch those packages.
This all sounds good.

If it is going via FEDEX, there is usually just one daily flight (made at night) to their big hub in Memphis and from there, the packages get put on a second flight to the destination city, arriving there very early in the wee hours of the morning to be put on trucks to be taken to the final destination. So you don't want to miss the one nightly flight to Memphis or the package won't get sent out till the next night's flight.

Just have Molly check to make sure how much in advance she needs to get the box there to be sure it gets on that once nightly flight.

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
This all sounds good.

If it is going via FEDEX, there is usually just one daily flight (made at night) to their big hub in Memphis and from there, the packages get put on a second flight to the destination city, arriving there very early in the wee hours of the morning to be put on trucks to be taken to the final destination. So you don't want to miss the one nightly flight to Memphis or the package won't get sent out till the next night's flight.

Just have Molly check to make sure how much in advance she needs to get the box there to be sure it gets on that once nightly flight.
I tried calling, but it won't let me talk with anybody!!!!! I'm going to take Donny to the FedEx by 5:30 Wednesday and ask them. If they say it's Tuesday, then we'll do next Tuesday. I'll buy more shipping stuff and reimburse you for the package you bought. Ugh.

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
I tried calling, but it won't let me talk with anybody!!!!! I'm going to take Donny to the FedEx by 5:30 Wednesday and ask them. If they say it's Tuesday, then we'll do next Tuesday. I'll buy more shipping stuff and reimburse you for the package you bought. Ugh.
From what the ROBOT was telling me, it would be overnight-ed, but I don't trust it.