need a replacment.. maybe a red ear slider or simular...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
does any1 on here sell baby sliders? or other baby tank turtles? our softshell died (he was wild cought and recued from bird picking on him... at least he had 2 years with us) and i would like a new turtle to look at.. i miss our other one badly its only been 12 hours since he passed so if anyone knows who i could get one from on here for a pretty good price PLEASE let me know

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Check your local craigslist, there are usually a dozen or so of various sizes who need homes.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
dmmj said:
Check your local craigslist, there are usually a dozen or so of various sizes who need homes.

craigslist in pretty bare in my area LOL i did look n nothing...

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
sorry to hear about your softshell, would you mind explaining about his condition? Why he passed? Not sure where to find res where you are, but here you can adopt all you want at FWC's amnesty day.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
zesty_17 said:
sorry to hear about your softshell, would you mind explaining about his condition? Why he passed? Not sure where to find res where you are, but here you can adopt all you want at FWC's amnesty day.

i think he got (had) a parasite.. my daughter had found some snails in a pond this summer and happily brought them home.. i didnt think about it being a problem till he started eating them... he started getting lathargic and stopped eating a cple weeks ago we have no vet in the area that would even talk to me... i did all the research i could.. i made sure there was everything he needed that i could obtain at his disposal.. a cple weeks ago i noticed a very small bump lie on his leg and with in a few days he was gone... this morning he was at the bottom of his tank lifeless... i took him out an noticed a almost blister like bump very smalll on the top of his shell... i cried.. im so hurt im bout in tears writing this....:( he lived a much longer life that i believe he would have in the wild. when i found him a cple birds were pecking at him and damaged one of his legs... he was a very cute comical lil guy i miss him dearly.... even had to cover his tank so i wouldnt look at it so much... im not sure what to do with his tank mate fish and fiddler crab though.. im worried to put them in a tank with my other fish incase they have it to... so i havnt emptied his tank out yet.... i put him in a baggie and froze him till spring when i can bury him...

M

Maggie Cummings

Diamond backed terrapins are great turtles. I have had several and they don't bite as badly as RES do. I'd get one of them if I was gonna get a water turtle

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
maggie3fan said:
Diamond backed terrapins are great turtles. I have had several and they don't bite as badly as RES do. I'd get one of them if I was gonna get a water turtle

hmm i will keep that in mind what website can i get one?? i was thinking the RES b/c they are cheap lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have a turtle rescue in your area, I'm sure you can get a RES for free from them. I had to quit taking them in because I got too many and couldn't find homes for them.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
emysemys said:
If you have a turtle rescue in your area, I'm sure you can get a RES for free from them. I had to quit taking them in because I got too many and couldn't find homes for them.

i live in a small town in South dakota.. no turtle anything here not even a vet.... i wish i could just find a cheap one b4 christmas ....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am so sorry for your little buddies passing....

Have you googled for turtle rescues in your state....then contact that rescue...they will sometimes know someone near you that may have some RESs needing a home.....I have two little RESs and I love love love their character...I have to say that when I remove the top to theopen side of their tank...and hold up their food the one comes right up and climbs his little front feet onto the lip of the tank and hang their taking food from my hand...then plop back into the water and back up again with the most eager little face....I would vote RES....and I bet with some leg work on your part...you will find the perfect slider and one that could use a loving home.....:D

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
ascott said:
I am so sorry for your little buddies passing....

Have you googled for turtle rescues in your state....then contact that rescue...they will sometimes know someone near you that may have some RESs needing a home.....I have two little RESs and I love love love their character...I have to say that when I remove the top to theopen side of their tank...and hold up their food the one comes right up and climbs his little front feet onto the lip of the tank and hang their taking food from my hand...then plop back into the water and back up again with the most eager little face....I would vote RES....and I bet with some leg work on your part...you will find the perfect slider and one that could use a loving home.....:D

i did look... my state is aparently not animal friendly :(.. no reptile rescue that i could find or were still available.........:(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Okay so let me see what I can offer as help...my old noodle is wiggling....I will let you know if I come up with anything.....:D

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
ascott said:
Okay so let me see what I can offer as help...my old noodle is wiggling....I will let you know if I come up with anything.....:D

that would be awsome i have a 2 and 3 year old that miss our lil guy a bunch not as much as me though :( ... i did find a site with 3 RES for 14.95+24.95 shipping.... not sure on them though i would rather have either another rescue orfrom a private persons collection :) so i can be sure its healthy was was watched n cared for even b4 it was born :)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
maybe a rescue out of state that has lots of RES would be willing to ship one to you as long as you can prove in some way that you will be providing proper environment for it...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
still trying....:D

Hey, have you checked with your vets office to see if they have any rescue group contacts....I know that sometimes they are a great resource...:D

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
ascott said:
still trying....:D

Hey, have you checked with your vets office to see if they have any rescue group contacts....I know that sometimes they are a great resource...:D

when i called our vet when Squishy was acting ill they laughed at me pretty much.... so i dont think they r much help.. they mainly deal with cats /dogs and farm animals.... i dont think they will be much help to me..

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Kvoigt said:
does any1 on here sell baby sliders? or other baby tank turtles? our softshell died (he was wild cought and recued from bird picking on him... at least he had 2 years with us) and i would like a new turtle to look at.. i miss our other one badly its only been 12 hours since he passed so if anyone knows who i could get one from on here for a pretty good price PLEASE let me know

i think im going to end my search.... for now anyway i did not get another... but instead i might use this to my advantage and plant grasses n other plants in the tanks its a big 55 gallon so i should be able to plant plenty. for my leopard Sonne and just spend more time with him (if thats possible :) ) so thanks ever1 for all the ideas and info!! but in jus gna have plants in there for now i think ...

Status
Not open for further replies.