Need a little help

Hello.Potato

Location (City and/or State)
Florida; Ocala
Hello. I'm new to owning tortoises, and have called a few petstores. They say they have testudo tortoises.. now I know that its just a genus name. How can I tell the difference between russian and greek.
What are the main differences and do they require different climates?
Arid vs semi arid.
I'm leaning towards a greek myself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Russian will be more yellow with black inside the scutes. It would be a good idea for you to print out a picture of a Russian and take it with you. I can't help you with the Greek tortoise because I don't keep them and know little about them. We have care sheets pinned at the top of our Greek and Russian sections for you to read.

Hello.Potato

Florida; Ocala
Yvonne G said:
The Russian will be more yellow with black inside the scutes. It would be a good idea for you to print out a picture of a Russian and take it with you. I can't help you with the Greek tortoise because I don't keep them and know little about them. We have care sheets pinned at the top of our Greek and Russian sections for you to read.
Thanks so much. Will look into that thread.

Hello.Potato

Florida; Ocala
After photo compairing.. the tortoise I'm looking at in the petstore isn't a greek or russian! He/she us a hermann! 120 $ for a hermann decent?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
After photo compairing.. the tortoise I'm looking at in the petstore isn't a greek or russian! He/she us a hermann! 120 $ for a hermann decent?
Probably. I don't really know what a great prices. The care is also similar to Russians and Greeks. It just comes down to personal preference. Most people think the Hermans are prettier. Russians seem to have a very bold personality overall. But every tortoises an individual so their personalities very by individual. but like I said, the care is very similar with all three so now you just have to decide which one you like. By the way, do not take any advice from the pet store :) usually they don't have a clue what they're talking about. Stay here on this for him and you will find all the information you need. Good luck with your new tortoise.

Hello.Potato

Florida; Ocala
leigti said:
Probably. I don't really know what a great prices. The care is also similar to Russians and Greeks. It just comes down to personal preference. Most people think the Hermans are prettier. Russians seem to have a very bold personality overall. But every tortoises an individual so their personalities very by individual. but like I said, the care is very similar with all three so now you just have to decide which one you like. By the way, do not take any advice from the pet store :) usually they don't have a clue what they're talking about. Stay here on this for him and you will find all the information you need. Good luck with your new tortoise.
Oh I plan too. I absolutely love them. He seems like a lover. Was super happy to be held and petted. I'm probably gonna go rescue him from that store. Poor fella.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I personally like the personality of Hermann's better than either Greek or Russian. They usually are "outgoing", and active.
And , yes, that is a good price if it is a healthy animal.
Be concerned if it is caged with other species - they are susceptible to some diseases when housed with wild-caught Greeks.

Hello.Potato

Florida; Ocala
Iochroma, post: 1012231, member: 49025"]I personally like the personality of Hermann's better than either Greek or Russian. They usually are "outgoing", and active.
And , yes, that is a good price if it is a healthy animal.
Be concerned if it is caged with other species - they are susceptible to some diseases when housed with wild-caught Greeks.
Nope. He is caged all by himself. He was huddled in a corner. Poor fella. I'm probably gonna get him in the next day or so. :) he seemed really outgoing when he was held. Didnt shy into his shell.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Nope. He is caged all by himself. He was huddled in a corner. Poor fella. I'm probably gonna get him in the next day or so. :) he seemed really outgoing when he was held. Didnt shy into his shell.
Sounds good. Go get him before somebody else does :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here you go! Photos help! The top photo is the greak the bottom is russian.

Attachments

• 1419794769916.jpg
    1419794769916.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 1419794780258.jpg
    1419794780258.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 13

Hello.Potato

Florida; Ocala
stinax182 said:
Just throwing my two cents in, you should do a quick search on Craigslist in your area for a tort. They are always needing homes.
I tried. Only torts on in my area are for scalatas and leopards. Both are much to big for my home right now. Imma keep looking, but I think I will probably go ahead and get the hermanni

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No problem! Thats what I'm here for . Haha

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know what you're screaming . What works for one will not work for others . If you live somewhere dry then you're going to need a humidifier . If you live somewhere cold you're going to need a heater . You know there's more than one way to do something to get the same outcome .

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
I tried. Only torts on in my area are for scalatas and leopards. Both are much to big for my home right now. Imma keep looking, but I think I will probably go ahead and get the hermanni

Thank you for giving it a chance and knowing that those other torts are not for you. You will enjoy whatever tortoise you get, i promise :)