Neck peeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So I'm used to my reptiles having peely bits and looking downright deathly during sheds so I didn't really pay much attention when little Levi started to peel but now I'm starting to wonder if it's normal?

I soak him every day and he lives on moist coco coir with a humid hide so I don't think it's a dry peeling thing.

Here's a pic...it's super terrible and I can post one from my real camera but the slightly lighter bits on his neck and around his ears are where it's happening.

63aa83c0.jpg

It's around both "ears" and a bit down his neck...the symmetry makes me think it's natural but I thought it couldn't hurt to check

torti

5 Year Member
I'm a new mother too. I believe its normal happened to mines too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry about it. This is a frequent occurrence with the desert-type tortoises. Just don't pick at it.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Great thanks, I wasn't too worried just thought I'd double check. And I've been resisting the urge to "help"... Mostly because it looks like it would hurt terribly if I did. My poor Leo on the other hand always has a spot of skin right between his eyes that he can never seem to quite get after a shed that drives us both crazy :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe peels too. It's normal stuff for reptiles. I rarely notice it except when he's just out of hibernation. I assume he normally wears it off pushing through undergrowth and digging in.

mytwotortys

5 Year Member
My kochanski an lister both peel too, it's natural, as long as you don't pick it's fine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.