Natural Mulch???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WV
would natural mulch from a timber company be good for a subtrate bedding for a eastern box turtle? Because i watched mine exploring my moms flower bed and he just started to dig so i thought it would be a good idea. What do you guys think?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Turtle Guru said:
would natural mulch from a timber company be good for a subtrate bedding for a eastern box turtle? Because i watched mine exploring my moms flower bed and he just started to dig so i thought it would be a good idea. What do you guys think?

i dont see why not as long as it doesnt rot and is not made of pine.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
ok thanks i thought it would be but i needed some ensureance and also im wondering why you cant use pine ?

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
ok i have never heard on anything with pine so im not a 100% though

Boony

5 Year Member
Southern California
Turtle Guru said:

I have used natural mulch from Scotts for a few months, and all my turtles haven't shown any problem so far. One of them even laid eggs under the mulch. :)

http://www.scotts.com/smg/templates...10228&ef_id=bfxOPgULcVUAAIxz:20110807213029:s

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I would try to make it as natural as I could with just soil. You could put a lot of leaf litter on one side for him to dig under....lots of plants. Try to mimic the forest floor where he could come from.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Ours love the leaf litter also.A whole section of the enclosure is basically just compost.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I save about 5 big bags of leaf litter in my garage from the Fall. In the Summer I lay the bags open in the sun, and keep turning them over. In the middle of August, I have beautiful mulch all around my veggie garden, and at the end of the turtle garden this compost if fulled with yummy worms and bugs. By the start of October the soil is nice and loose ready to add more leaves and pine hay to hibernate in. Leaf litter has many useful qualities, especially if you have box turtles.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
terryo said:
I save about 5 big bags of leaf litter in my garage from the Fall. In the Summer I lay the bags open in the sun, and keep turning them over. In the middle of August, I have beautiful mulch all around my veggie garden, and at the end of the turtle garden this compost if fulled with yummy worms and bugs. By the start of October the soil is nice and loose ready to add more leaves and pine hay to hibernate in. Leaf litter has many useful qualities, especially if you have box turtles.

Great ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.