Naming Your Tort

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
This is probably a silly little thread but...how did you come up with a name for your tortoise? Had I known I would end up with 3 red foots, I would have named them Larry, Moe and Curly. But they came to me one at a time so I gave them names that could me male or female (they are juveniles). Shasta after the daisy, Mango since that seems to be his favorite fruit and Jinx because the pattern on his head reminds me of a voodoo mask :).

My Russians are a different story. My male I call Handsome. Mainly because every time I walk up to his habitat I say "hello handsome". One of my females I call Honey. Likewise, when I approach her I always say "hey honey". Now I'm having a hard time finding a name for my newest female. She is a very nice light yellow color so I'm trying to come up with something that reflects that. I'm finding myself saying "what's up buttercup" when I feed her. I wonder if that's going to stick.

Btw, I realize I'm goofy:p

Delilah1623

I think Buttercup is a great name (= one of my chickens was named Buttercup!

Igor (russian) is Igor... well because it was the only name the boyfriend and I both kind of liked.... but personally I wanted to name him Abraham.

Theodore just seemed like a good name for my baby redfoot... Although I am sure because of that it will end up being a girl and will become Thea.

Posey (sulcata) just needed a girly name.... not sure yet if it's a boy or a girl, her previous owners had named her/him Mr. Blinks.

My diamondback terrapin is named Arya after a character in Game of Thrones because she has white, white skin woth black speckles and made me think of snow.... and because I am a dork.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yurik got the name because I thought I had a Mail Russian tortoise and I thought that was a good mail Russian name. then I find out he is actually a she, but I kept the name anyway. They don't care what you call them as long as the food keeps coming. Tickle, my box turtle, came with that name and I liked it so I kept it

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I loved the movie "Born Free" when I was a kid, and wanted my tort to have a simple but classy sounding name, so I named her Elsa.
Unfortunately, about a year later Disney came out with the animated movie "Frozen," which has an Elsa as one of the lead characters and people are quick to assume that's where I got it from.

Peytons torts

I named my 2 yearling hermanns calcuta and sage
Calcuta because I love that type of marble and sage because when she was a baby her she'll was the color of sage and my leopard kurtis because my sister always said I should name one kurtis so I can call it kurtis the turdis

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I have many reds...
First is Big Red. Because I knew that she would grow big & she's a Red :)
Second is Speedy because she was so darn speedy at the pet store when she got out of her glass tank, she is fast!!!
Third is Junior because I'm not sure where it came from LOL. But I also named him Lil foot but Junior always stuck.
Last is Flapjack, not sure what happened with this tort, he's starting to look normal but boy oh boy this redfoot was flat and round looking :confused:
Then I have 2 cherry heads...names remain undecided. I did name them Rudy (Rudolph) for the red nose & Blitzen, but the husband sure didn't like those names!! I don't know why he cares so much!! Oh wait he does like my tortoises :p

Peytons torts

I have many reds...
First is Big Red. Because I knew that she would grow big & she's a Red :)
Second is Speedy because she was so darn speedy at the pet store when she got out of her glass tank, she is fast!!!
Third is Junior because I'm not sure where it came from LOL. But I also named him Lil foot but Junior always stuck.
Last is Flapjack, not sure what happened with this tort, he's starting to look normal but boy oh boy this redfoot was flat and round looking :confused:
Then I have 2 cherry heads...names remain undecided. I did name them Rudy (Rudolph) for the red nose & Blitzen, but the husband sure didn't like those names!! I don't know why he cares so much!! Oh wait he does like my tortoises :p
Lol there is this supervisor at my school named big red haha

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Elmo was almost an Oscar :eek: but it didn't fit right :p He's got these 'grump lines' though, so he looks angry all the time... (AKA, Oscar!)
Cheerio is tan. Like a cheerio :p
We went ALL out for Howi's name, and his full nae is actually Howi Innes, which means from the river :D
Magellan loves to explore and be adventurous, even though he's just a little guy, sooo... ;)
Talons has got talons.
Ruby is red.
And Hugo (my YBSs ummm.... male... name...:confused: ) is just cute, but Henrietta is pretty close :D

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Simple, I name everything Steve the _________ (gender irrelevant). The only reason my current cats and dogs have different names is because my wife doesn't share my Steve naming compulsion and (for some crazy reason) insisted on not having Steve the dog 2 & 3 and Steve the cat 3 & 4 (Steve the dog 1 and Steve the cat 1&2 were all previous animals of mine).

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
This is probably a silly little thread but...how did you come up with a name for your tortoise? Had I known I would end up with 3 red foots, I would have named them Larry, Moe and Curly. But they came to me one at a time so I gave them names that could me male or female (they are juveniles). Shasta after the daisy, Mango since that seems to be his favorite fruit and Jinx because the pattern on his head reminds me of a voodoo mask :).

My Russians are a different story. My male I call Handsome. Mainly because every time I walk up to his habitat I say "hello handsome". One of my females I call Honey. Likewise, when I approach her I always say "hey honey". Now I'm having a hard time finding a name for my newest female. She is a very nice light yellow color so I'm trying to come up with something that reflects that. I'm finding myself saying "what's up buttercup" when I feed her. I wonder if that's going to stick.

Btw, I realize I'm goofy:p

What a cute thread!

I had wanted a tortoise for a long time. One day, during class, I wrote a poem about a tortoise after I finished my classwork. In a daze, I randomly wrote "Harold" at the bottom of the page when I finished. It's such a cute name for my old grump!

However, at the time, I didn't have Harold. I purchased a Hermann's tortoise from an online source and it turned out to be a female! Unfortunately, she passed away two months later. Her name was Poppy.

I named her Poppy because my family used to own a chinchilla. We wanted to name her either Lily or Poppy, and we went with Lilly. Naturally, I took the second. unused choice (and my favorite out of the two) and incorporated it into another wonderful pet's name!

I eventually purchased another tortoise—this time a Russian—and he was male (most tortoises in pet stores are male around here). I knew that I had to name him Harold. He has such a grumpy, old-man face. Besides...I already painted "Harold" on his wooden cage!

I named my second tortoise Hazel due to the fact that I have very green eyes, but people always refer to them as "hazel." It was an "H" name too, so it just stuck.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
What a cute thread!

I had wanted a tortoise for a long time. One day, during class, I wrote a poem about a tortoise after I finished my classwork. In a daze, I randomly wrote "Harold" at the bottom of the page when I finished. It's such a cute name for my old grump!

However, at the time, I didn't have Harold. I purchased a Hermann's tortoise from an online source and it turned out to be a female! Unfortunately, she passed away two months later. Her name was Poppy.

I named her Poppy because my family used to own a chinchilla. We wanted to name her either Lily or Poppy, and we went with Lilly. Naturally, I took the second. unused choice (and my favorite out of the two) and incorporated it into another wonderful pet's name!

I eventually purchased another tortoise—this time a Russian—and he was male (most tortoises in pet stores are male around here). I knew that I had to name him Harold. He has such a grumpy, old-man face. Besides...I already painted "Harold" on his wooden cage!

I named my second tortoise Hazel due to the fact that I have very green eyes, but people always refer to them as "hazel." It was an "H" name too, so it just stuck.
Cute! I still haven't officially named my newest little girl. I usually have no trouble deciding on a name so it's kind of strange that it's taking me a while this time. Oh well, a name will "hit" me one day soon and I'm sure it will be perfect :)

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Cute! I still haven't officially named my newest little girl. I usually have no trouble deciding on a name so it's kind of strange that it's taking me a while this time. Oh well, a name will "hit" me one day soon and I'm sure it will be perfect :)

I'm planning on raising another female Russian...I think I'll name her Hatti (hat-tee) or Heidi (tortoises hide, right?). :)