Names ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Where does everybody come up with these names you have? We still have not figured out a good name for our three Sulcatas. Right now we have, Big Girl, Big Guy, and Lil Gal. We didn't like their original names before we adopted them.

Any Suggestions? Here is a picture of them. Large Female is 8, Medium Male is 6, and Little one is 4.

Attachments

• Tortoises.jpg
    Tortoises.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 51

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
How about Pee-Wee, Hulk, and Lolita! ROFL!

I am a lover of names and always have names on my mind! Sometimes I spend days and days coming up with a name for a new tortoise (or pet) and other times it's like they just whisper it in my ear!

I do think you should name one of those Morla - that is the wise huge tortoise in The Neverending Story! Another could be Akupara, as in Hinduism that is the tortoise that carries the world on his back. And the third one can be... ooh I know! KELLY! :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I name my torts after flowers, plants, or fruit. Such as Peaches, Strawberry, Nasty (Nasturam), and Taro.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We have considered Fred, Wilma and Dino, but the names never really stuck.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
You should probably just name them after the first three people that respond to this! :p

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
How come I knew even before I read this thread that one of the names should have been Kelly!!!! LOL I usually have names that just jump out at me or I like to find names in things I enjoy. I am a Stevie Nicks fan, so 2 of my leopards are Dove and Bella. But my new Russian just looked like a Betty to me!?! Do you have any hobbies or something you really love? Pull something from there. Good Luck! You do always have the option of Kelly, Kelly Jr. and Kelly III. LOL

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
cvalda said:
You should probably just name them after the first three people that respond to this! :p

Your soooo sneaky Kelly! HAHAHAHA

I do google searches for unusual names, russian names, etc etc.....Most of my torts have a name beginning with the first letter in the common name of the species, so all Redfoots have R names, etc etc. There are a few exceptions such as my new Hermanns boy came with a name that I will be keeping for him, Eli, but my other Hermanns male is Hawthorne. My larger Leopard male is Trace, after Tracy whom I got him from. The smaller Leopard male is Lanny.

Redfoots are Rayna, Remy, River and Rudy. lol I think it helps me remember their names. ;D

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Oh and I think Im going to call my new Turkish Ibera Greek boy Wick, after Chris Leone's band. ;) (Wicker Hollow) I need to get some pics of him, he just came in yesterday.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How about names of angels? Like Gabriel? Or names of Gods, like Hercules?

My daughter named my, oops I mean her tortoise. She got it from a cartoon.

shannon74

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My kindergarten class named my red-eared slider, which of course explains Franklin. I named my sulcata Tonka because I know someday he will be like a Tonka truck in my back yard. Although right now - he is a might bit small for such a rough and tuff name.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Well it just seems so natural that one be named Kelly! :p

We used Lord of the Rings names or words for a lot of our names and spend a lot of time looking on "The Encyclopedia of Arda" online for cool ones - Mithril, Iluvatar (whom we just call Billy), Elentari, Bucklebury, and Varda are all names from LOTR!

I also love to use Japanese names, especially words or terms we use in our karate class - Makidach, Neko-Ashi, Shiro-Aka, Sasoi and Shuto all all from that!

My son can't just pick a random name, so they are usually from movies or video games (like Dozer from Matrix, and Zelda from the game). I do this too, as with Hurley (from Lost) and Roland (from Dark Tower stories by Stephen King).

God/Goddess names rock to - I have Calypso and Isis.

I can do totally random names though - Carmine, Oofda, and Vanya are some of my random names.

When we eventually have hatchlings, we will name each clutch after a theme. Can I say I am NOT looking forward to my son's "rapper" theme he's got planned. (LOL!)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ok, I named My first two Greeks after Greek mithology (Ajax and Echo) But when comet came she was found during the week of an astrological event with a comet. Then Squirt (foster sulcata) was named cause she squirted poo all over me whenever I picked her up for the first month. My outside DT fosters don't have names just numbers.
You might want to go online and look for some words in a language from Africa Like maybe Swahele. These are some names from the Lion King.
These are what these name mean in Swahele
Nuka, means “stink”
Vitani, means "At War"
Takuda, means "Autumn Fire
Duka, means "Dork"
Rafiky, means "Friend"
Kiara, means "Light"
Kovu, means "Scar"

Thats how I get mine or I ask friends to help name them put the names in a bowl and pull one out. It is a little easier if you know the sex you could name them in pairs like George and Gracie or Bogie and Bacall...

Or you could name them Kay, Ell and Ee

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hey Robyn, my twelve year old daughter is Kiara!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If an animal comes to me with a name, I keep it, but my own animals are not named. With the exception of the Aldabrans. I've named them "The Bigger One" and "The Smaller One". Pretty inventive, huh? Lots of thought went into it!!!

Yvonne

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So far, I have Miss Kelly, Mr. Kelly and Kelly Jr.

Wow, talk about starting a active discussion. Thanks evryone for their thoughts. Keep them coming.

I would use Rex and Roxy, but we had a Desert Tort couple by that name for many years.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Robyn - that's so funny! Kay, Ell and Ee.......

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I have two sulcata rescues. One came with his name, Zeus, the other one is Dixie. She originally came from the town of Dixon.
We raised cattle once. We didnt want to name them, so we called them other things.. #47, his ear tag number, The red one, and one who gave us quite the rodeo and trouble.. Renegade. So some sorta had names so we knoew who we were talking about... but its funny how some things Become 'names'.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Laura said:
I have two sulcata rescues. One came with his name, Zeus, the other one is Dixie. She originally came from the town of Dixon.
We raised cattle once. We didnt want to name them, so we called them other things.. #47, his ear tag number, The red one, and one who gave us quite the rodeo and trouble.. Renegade. So some sorta had names so we knoew who we were talking about... but its funny how some things Become 'names'.

We have over 200 snakes, and only a few have little pet names that usually have something to do with their personality or size. lol Ive had large numbers of snakes in the last 15 years and only the really special ones end up with names. Its just too hard to keep up with hundreds of names. I just recently named my Box Turtles and Tortoises! I was so used to not naming the herps. I too used to raise cattle and goats and again, only the special ones really got names or a nick name. Our steers and heifers that were raised specifically for meat were usually called HB (hamburger) or Sirloin or Roast. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.