My Wild Grape Vine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The grapes are not good for eating but the torts love the leaves,this year it has reached 80 feet in length, I pick over 100 leaves a day for food, Walker doesn't eat from the vine but will eat them if I pick em for him,He's spoiled.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I just tried our leafs for my russian, he did not seem to care for them yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My grape vine is good for about a month in the spring, then the grape-leaf skeletonizers lay their eggs on the undersides of the leaves and in no time at all, most of the leaves are gone. At first I tried picking them off, but its too big a job. It gets away from me.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
My grape vine is good for about a month in the spring, then the grape-leaf skeletonizers lay their eggs on the undersides of the leaves and in no time at all, most of the leaves are gone. At first I tried picking them off, but its too big a job. It gets away from me.

What are grape-leaf skeletonizers? I am getting so many leaves right now I would be devastated if I had this problem. Is there anything nontoxic to get rid of it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is that a Frenchie butt I see in the pic?

I planted two grape vines last year and only one made it...the fricken gophers got the roots of the other....:(

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
ascott said:
Is that a Frenchie butt I see in the pic?

I planted two grape vines last year and only one made it...the fricken gophers got the roots of the other....:(

He has some Frenchie in him, when we adopted him we were told he was a Boston, that had originated from that long yard sale in Tenn,he was still a pup, as he filled out the French side started showing more, he went through several homes before he found us, those families missed out on a sweet dog. His name was Peanut I didn't think he looked like a peanut so changed it to Chester.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Chester is much more dignified....I love the Frenchie, i use to show Old English Bulldogs....I am a bit partial to the flat faces....:D

redbeef

5 Year Member
grape leaf skeletonizers:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r302301011.html

don't know if they've made it to AZ yet, so you might be safe, DesertGrandma ;)

I did a quick search around the web and it looks like there might be a viral product, Virosoft CP4, that might work on controlling this pest...alternately, I believe bacillus thuringiensis is considered pretty low impact, i know it isn't supposed to affect mammals...and it seems to be OK for other vertebrates as well.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
redbeef said:
grape leaf skeletonizers:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r302301011.html

don't know if they've made it to AZ yet, so you might be safe, DesertGrandma ;)

I did a quick search around the web and it looks like there might be a viral product, Virosoft CP4, that might work on controlling this pest...alternately, I believe bacillus thuringiensis is considered pretty low impact, i know it isn't supposed to affect mammals...and it seems to be OK for other vertebrates as well.

Thanks Redbeef. This is good information.

Status
Not open for further replies.