Best type of grape vine

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Yeah, I just checked in with Barb in Chicago. It's supposed to be a high of 27 F on Saturday there. Brrrr...

We are in the 80s this week. I think it's time to turn my lawn sprinklers back on.
Oh shut up!

Reactions: Tom

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I like Thompson seedless and Flame. Both are table grapes and are very vigorous vines that do well most everywhere. They also put out more growth and leaves than most types. The Concord is not as vigorous a grower and tends to stay smaller
Thanks :) I am more interested in the leaves then the grapes. For the tortoises sake. I need to figure out a way to preserve them so I have the most of the winter. My experiment to try to take a cutting didn't work. It would be great to be able to grow them indoors all winter. Grapes are good though too, me and the chickens will eat them just fine. I will look up these two varieties. I'm sure they probably grow pretty well around here. I think the Thompson grapes are the ones my neighbors half, small little green grapes that taste kind of like honey.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
To stay healthy and push out the best growth, grape vines need a dormancy and pruning back That will give you the most and best growth the next year. Wish there was a way to store them for the winter but the only way I know is basically pickling them. That is used commonly as they are a great food item. But that is not suitable for tortoises.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks :) I am more interested in the leaves then the grapes. For the tortoises sake. I need to figure out a way to preserve them so I have the most of the winter. My experiment to try to take a cutting didn't work. It would be great to be able to grow them indoors all winter. Grapes are good though too, me and the chickens will eat them just fine. I will look up these two varieties. I'm sure they probably grow pretty well around here. I think the Thompson grapes are the ones my neighbors half, small little green grapes that taste kind of like honey.
I think you can freeze them if you have room in your freezer.