New grape vine plant

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I have just bought a lovely potted grape vine plant to put in my leopard's outdoor enclosure. It is about 35 inches tall but don't know how it has been cultivated (fertiliser or sprays used etc). How long after it has been replanted do you think I should wait before feeding the leaves to make sure it is safe?
Many thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All of the leaves will fall off after the Summer and when they all grow back, you should be good. However,;you might already be good as most varieties are very resistant to bugs from what I've seen. Most are also self pollinating so even one plant will grow grapes.
Is there a nursery label? Maybe you could contact them. This is a human food plant. I'll bet it's safer than most as is.
Did you get Concorde, Muscadine...

Attachments

• 20140821_182138.jpg
    20140821_182138.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Zeropilot, I am going to replant in a bigger pot so it can be brought in next winter It already has the start of grapes on it but what sort it is I don't know I will check label and get back to you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I read the label - it only says that it's a Mediterranean Vine. In very small print it says that it's been fed with mineral fertiliser and not to consume until after the first years fruit. So I guess it will be a while until it's safe but that's no problem as it will have a chance to establish itself after repotting.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Just this morning I saw lots of beautiful Thompson grapes in pots being sold at Home Depot and I bought one. However, when I read about its care online, it says to fertilize twice a year with a high nitrogen fertilizer. Will that be okay for my tort? Do I just NOT fertilize? I have never grown grapes or any food plants so am worried about how it will survive.IMG_8199.JPG

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Maybe it depends if you want a good harvest of grapes or not (?) I only want the leaves for the tort really so I don't think I'll fertilise mine unless with a good organic fertiliser. My sister used to have a massive grapevine at her old house and a neighbour used to give her buckets of chicken blood for it. Apparently vines thrive on it - not so good for the chickens though.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The compost I make is terrific fertilizer. I use it for all of my potted plants. Everything grows well in it. The only other fertilizer I use is the water from my fish & turtle filters when I clean them.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I'm a vegetarian, so chicken blood is out. LOL I tried growing a compost but it requires lots of water to keep moist here in dry heat Tucson, cheaper to buy it. So, I'll just buy organic compost and use that for the grape plant. I got it mainly for Ariza but I DO love Thompson grapes. Most of my plants are native and do not require fertilizers. Thanks for the replies. I'm digging the hole for the grape plant today, my soil is hard like concrete, lots of stones and caliche.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Make your own compost if possible then no worries. I? use worms and their casings on my grape vine. If you can put it in the ground, you will have a good food source for decades/ Mine has been growing for about 15 years, like a weed. Wait a year before feedinng to your tortoise. just my opinion.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What do you do with your kitchen waste? Garden waste? Everything turns to compost sooner or later, even if you ignore it. Especially if you ignore it. It may be slow, but it will get there in the end. You might want to dig a pit for it & cover it to conserve moisture. You can also use grey water. You'd be amazed how much you can capture & reuse.

Up here people say they can't compost in the endless winter because everything freezes and won't break down. Flip side of your problem. It can all wait until conditions are right & then break down.

I've never found commercially available compost anywhere near as good as what I produce.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I have recently gotten a grape vine plant, but theres no leaves or anything on it so far...it looks like just a plain stick in a pot :( Does anyone know what time of year they typically grow leaves? All of the ones at the store where I got it were like this, they told me they were all "dormant".

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have recently gotten a grape vine plant, but theres no leaves or anything on it so far...it looks like just a plain stick in a pot :( Does anyone know what time of year they typically grow leaves? All of the ones at the store where I got it were like this, they told me they were all "dormant".
Mine is very bushy at the moment but it's probably been in a greenhouse. When you plant yours perhaps the leaves will come then

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
NOW is the time for growth, and lots of leaf production.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
What do you do with your kitchen waste? Garden waste?

I just throw it in the trash. It's only me so very little kitchen waste and I don't have a lawn, so very little stuff to put in the compost.

I tried making a compost back in 2007 and got discouraged. First, the dry heat and little rain, we only get 11 inches a year. I always use my gray water from dish rinsing, but now use it for ornamental plants. Also, I had the compost in a far corner of my lot and started noticing lots of cockroaches in it. Every time I turned it there were thousands of them scurrying around. Ick! Then they invaded my house and I had to fumigate it twice. I figured it was just cheaper to buy, and a lot less work. Wish I lived next to you and you would donate some to me! :))

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Cockroaches? Ewwwww. Okay, you get a pass. Go forth and buy compost with my blessing.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Cockroaches? Ewwwww. Okay, you get a pass. Go forth and buy compost with my blessing.
Ewww, alright. I went online about compost and found that ''there will be bugs doing their work, including cockroaches''. That's why I wasn't alarmed at first, but when they invaded my house, that was a no-no.