my torts are in their new home any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

orguss1

5 Year Member
[align=right
Well just put them in last night here a some pics should i change anything? I got a rabbit corner litter box for their soaking area put a flat rock towards the front so they have a easier way to get out and some rocks in front so they dont drag stuff in. Got a black plastic craft stacking box that had a wide front flipped it over and put some craft plants for looks on each side until spring comes and i can grow some real ones to put in (they like to go under the big leaves.) And there is 3-4 inches of cypress mulch mixed with coco husk. Temp under mvb is 93 humid is between 48 and 55. The only thing i wasnt ecstatic was petsmart was out of che units so i got the 100 watt zoo med night basking bulb ( the one hat is purple and is shaped like a basking bulb)

Heres some pics thoughts appreciated

[IMG]http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u668/orguss1/photo-3_zpsf9bfe09b.jpg[/IMG]
[/align]
photo-4_zpsd558cdf9.jpg

photo-5_zpsf5caec48.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
very nice.. Id be a little concerned about the water depth? You can use a large ceramic-terra cotta dish. They type you would place under a potted plant to catch water.. they are shallow, offer some traction, easy to clean and cheap.

orguss1

5 Year Member
I was concerned with most of the corner litter pans i saw but this one has the sunken lip at the front for some reason so water depth is shallow it only is an inch deep from the exit lip and i added the flat rock so the have some footing getting out i looked at the pot dishes and this is just as shallow at the low point and they end up with more area so both can be in at same time without any problems. Could it still be a problem?

orguss1

5 Year Member
I was only planing to use this during winter and at extreme times and figured it would be ok until they grow some.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What area of the country do you live in? If that will just be used for a few months in the winter, it should be fine, especially if they will be outside for a good part of the year.
Russians really do like to roam and wander!

You can turn the MVB off at night; on for 12-14 hours per day. Make sure one side of the enclosure is a cool side, 70f or so.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I feel if you add an extension to the front by cutting the glass and adding on an extra room; you will be able to provide additional space and allow them to have a cooler retreat closer to the 70 degrees already mentioned. You could also extend from the side.

Many of the more experienced members have advised allowing the nighttime temperatures to drop into the 60's giving the russians a more natural temperature swing from day to night.

Good luck and good health.

orguss1

5 Year Member
Were in Texas so they'll be inside from mid november to late febuary we get down to the teens at times. I plan to make them an outdoor home in febuary thinking 4x10.

Mvb is on from 7am to 8pm and basking area is 92f and other side is in 70s. Night is at 70f

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well a bit bigger would be nice, but your temps sound fine. That will work over the winter.
Your outside plans sound great. (One 'predator' that you may have to worry about in Texas are fire ants. Make sure you pick an area that is free of these, and you could do a search on this forum about dealing with them.) Be sure to pick an area that gets part shade, or plant a couple of shrubs on the SW side of the enclosure for shade.

There are lots of enclosures posted in the Enclosure section of this forum. You do have to scroll through which is time consuming, but after all, it is for your torts...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.