my tortoise wont drink ANY water

nicole r

Location (City and/or State)
las vegas, nevada
i got a russian tortoise about 3 weeks ago and he never drinks water!! i give him tortoise pellets, cucumber (not a lot very few actually and not every day), and spring mix but he never drinks his water. i started soaking him last week and even during his soaks his head will never go near the water. i also have a trip on the 26th and wont be back till the 14th and my friend is taking care of it and she wont be able to soak him. will he be okay? is there anything i can do to help him start drinking?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have rarely ever seen my Russian tortoise drink. Soak your tortoise every two or three days. Keep a large terra-cotta plant saucer in the enclosure just in case he wants to drink. Why can't your friend soak your tortoise? Can't you just show her how?

DesertGirl12

5 Year Member
Yucca Valley, CA
Nicole, I don't have a russian; however, I hadn't seen one of my CDT yearlings drink ever in his soaks or water dish for almost 2 weeks. Being a newbie, I was watching them every minute and really stressing because it was getting warm here. I was with the understanding that my little one was still getting moisture through the cloaca. (Somewhere I read that on this forum.) I chose not to worry too much yet. So with this I continued to soak every other day until I finally saw Baby drink. I hope that I am correct in saying that your tort is still getting hydrated to a degree due to soaks and will most likely drink soon. My other question would be, do you see the tort urinate? Mine often urinate while eating or shortly thereafter and I have to assume (maybe foolishly) that if they are releasing fluids they must have enough that they are eliminating. Now I see mine drinking out of their dish often but I still soak them because they enjoy it so much. They just sprawl out and chill.

I also had to show someone how to soak my torts while on a trip away - and the temporary "mom" enjoyed it thoroughly. It only takes a short time to do. Try teaching your friend what to do and you will be able to relax more on your trip. Best of luck to you.

This forum is awesome by the way for all these things that happen along the way. I love it!

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
Nicole, I don't have a russian; however, I hadn't seen one of my CDT yearlings drink ever in his soaks or water dish for almost 2 weeks. Being a newbie, I was watching them every minute and really stressing because it was getting warm here. I was with the understanding that my little one was still getting moisture through the cloaca. (Somewhere I read that on this forum.) I chose not to worry too much yet. So with this I continued to soak every other day until I finally saw Baby drink. I hope that I am correct in saying that your tort is still getting hydrated to a degree due to soaks and will most likely drink soon. My other question would be, do you see the tort urinate? Mine often urinate while eating or shortly thereafter and I have to assume (maybe foolishly) that if they are releasing fluids they must have enough that they are eliminating. Now I see mine drinking out of their dish often but I still soak them because they enjoy it so much. They just sprawl out and chill.

I also had to show someone how to soak my torts while on a trip away - and the temporary "mom" enjoyed it thoroughly. It only takes a short time to do. Try teaching your friend what to do and you will be able to relax more on your trip. Best of luck to you.

This forum is awesome by the way for all these things that happen along the way. I love it!
i do see him urinate quite a few times he does seem to urinate normally !! so i know thats a good thing :D just a bit worried since he never actually sticks his head in to drink. also i think i might show my friend how to soak my tortoise so i dont get to worried, i just dont want him to be a lot of work for her. hopefully ill get to see my tortoise drink soon :) at least i know he's hydrated as he is urinating and the urates look normal. thank you !!

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
I have rarely ever seen my Russian tortoise drink. Soak your tortoise every two or three days. Keep a large terra-cotta plant saucer in the enclosure just in case he wants to drink. Why can't your friend soak your tortoise? Can't you just show her how?
i do soak him every two to three days. and ive been a bit shy to tell her to soak him (its actually my moms friend so shes a bit older) and i dont want him to be a lot of work for her as i know she already has tons of work to do. i guess ill probably tell her so he'll be okay and i wont get worried :D

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Tortoises don't necessarily need to drink water as long as they are soked they absorb water but that dosen't mean they don't in fact that is the way they get the most water it is just absorbstion works too

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
Tortoises don't necessarily need to drink water as long as they are soked they absorb water but that dosen't mean they don't in fact that is the way they get the most water it is just absorbstion works too
okay, thats good :D now i atleast know he wont get dehydrated :) thank you !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Also, cucumber is contains mostly water, and many other foods do too.
If he's eating cucumber, lettuce or washed veggies with water still on, he'll be getting all the water he needs.
But try and keep up the soaks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What sort of water bowl are you using? Pet stores sell people the entirely wrong type and many tortoises won't drink from them.

Terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate work best. If you have that then I wouldn't worry too much. Your tortoise can drink when he wants. Two weeks without water won't hurt a russian that is eating spring mix and cucumber. If the tortoise went without water on a regular basis for a long time, then it could be a problem.

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
What sort of water bowl are you using? Pet stores sell people the entirely wrong type and many tortoises won't drink from them.

Terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate work best. If you have that then I wouldn't worry too much. Your tortoise can drink when he wants. Two weeks without water won't hurt a russian that is eating spring mix and cucumber. If the tortoise went without water on a regular basis for a long time, then it could be a problem.
i have no idea what the water bowl is called but its pretty big. my other tortoise used to love it and would sit in it all the time. i actually have seen him drink but only around once for about 3 seconds, and it wasnt from that water bowl. other than that ive never seen him.ill try the terra cotta saucers ! thank you !! :) do you have any idea where i can get those ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i have no idea what the water bowl is called but its pretty big. my other tortoise used to love it and would sit in it all the time. i actually have seen him drink but only around once for about 3 seconds, and it wasnt from that water bowl. other than that ive never seen him.ill try the terra cotta saucers ! thank you !! :) do you have any idea where i can get those ?

Any hardware store. I get mine at Lowes.

Boyu

Barcelona
i got a russian tortoise about 3 weeks ago and he never drinks water!! i give him tortoise pellets, cucumber (not a lot very few actually and not every day), and spring mix but he never drinks his water. i started soaking him last week and even during his soaks his head will never go near the water. i also have a trip on the 26th and wont be back till the 14th and my friend is taking care of it and she wont be able to soak him. will he be okay? is there anything i can do to help him start drinking?

your russian tortoise can drink from their bum sometimes when soaking so soak him/her everyday i do this to my tortoise