How do CDT's drink water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno, Nevada
For 50 yrs my CDT has been drinking water from a handprint in the cement-seriously. I am trying to get away from dragging the hose across the yard to fill the handprint everytime I think she may want a drink. Many times she does not. I am trying to provide a large terra cotta dish upon the great advice of the Tort Forum Brainiacs. This way she will always have fresh water anytime she wants. While observing Touche' drink from the handprint, she appears to put her lips (if she has any) like a suction cup on the cement. I watch big gulps go down her neck without picking her head up. I don't believe she laps the water up with her tongue. My question is: If the terra cotta dish is about 1" deep, will she still be able to drink from it? Her little nostrils will be under water if she drinks from the bottom of the dish. Yes, I am a blond:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They take water in thru their nose. You will often see them submerge their entire head and drink.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yep....it kinda looks like they are trying to do themselves in....also, they can submerge their mouth and nostrils in along with their eyes or they can simply submerge their mouth and nostrils.....they can assume this position for up to 15 minutes if they choose to.....

you can do the terra cotta dish or you can dig a pallet in the dirt and then line that pallet with a layer of smoothed out concrete to make a shallow soaking area and this would allow her to climb into the water as well as simply drink if she wanted to ....(just make sure the edges of the concrete have been smoothed and that the center depth is not too deep and that the edges are eventual enough so that it is easy to go in and out of)....

Also, you can turn a sprinkler on and leave it on for about 15 minutes when she is aware it is going on...I have a couple of them here that love to walk under the sprinkler and muck about in it....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
snaofreno said:
dmmj said:
They take water in thru their nose. You will often see them submerge their entire head and drink.

OMG! You've got to be kidding!
Nope provide a deep dish for water and watch them go at it.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
ascott said:
Yep....it kinda looks like they are trying to do themselves in....

Yes, yes it does! I got to finally see Echo drink for the first time the other day, she arched her head back, opened her mouth all the way and submerged her entire face into her water dish, little bubbles came up and I stood with O.O face until she came up and walked away like it was just another day, which it was I guess, haha.
I had no idea they drank through their nostrils though! Wow, this is amazing new news.

Status
Not open for further replies.