My Tortoise Table Build

Wolfpackin

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
My family has a 4 year old Greek Ibera that has been living in a 2' x 3' ZooMed Tortoise Enclosure. I've known for a while that this was not sufficient so I finally decided to make something bigger.

I thought it would be nice to share my build and the finished product with you folks.

I'll start by saying that I am aware most tortoise keepers are going to closed chambers instead of tables due to humidity requirements for proper shell growth and overall health. We have kept many animals and reptiles over the years and through that time have learned that trying to keep a humid environment where we live is a futile battle with mother nature.
We live at high altitude in the Colorado Rocky Mountains in what is known as high mountain desert. We have managed to keep a hermit crab alive for over 5 years but even in a completely sealed glass aquarium it is extremely difficult to keep humidity up without getting mold.

So, that said, our Tortoise "Rocky" will have to adapt to a dry environment with some help from us from soakings and mistings. And I will make a humid hide in the near future...no guarantees on the humid part. I'll also add that we let the breeder keep Rocky until he was 18 months old knowing that the longer early development time in the breeders humid enclosures would be beneficial to him.

On to my build...
This thread will be picture heavy so I will break it down into multiple posts to follow:

Wolfpackin

Colorado
I started by building a 30"W x 72"L x 12"H box.

The size was determined by the available space we had to put the enclosure and the lighting scheme I had in mind.
My wife also insisted that it would be easy to reach into and access all areas for cleaning.

Materials used:
1/2" Birch Plywood with no formaldehydes.
1" x 12" Pine board
1" x 2" Pine
1" x 3" Pine

I know some say pine is toxic, it's actually a mild respiratory irritant, so I used kiln dried boards and everything will be completely sealed with non-toxic wood sealer. More on that later.
It's my opinion that pine is not good for reptile bedding but is fine for enclosures especially if sealed properly.

All wood was joined using an electric nail/brad gun and Elmers Construction wood glue.

BUILD 1.jpg BUILD 2.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfpackin

Colorado
The screened area for lights was done by cutting slots the length of the 1 x 2 supports all the way around the "L".
I designed it so the screen can be removed from the back by removing the back support piece and sliding the screen in/out, just in case it gets bent or damaged.

Screening is 1" x 1" 16 gauge welded wire mesh.

BUILD 5 SCREEN.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfpackin

Colorado
At about this point I was spending a lot of time sanding with and orbital sander.
Lots of sanding.

Then I added trim and moulding for appearance. Because this enclosure is going to be in a main living space it was important to me for it to be aesthetically pleasing. I wanted it to look as much like a piece of furniture as possible even though I have few wood working skills and have never built anything like this before.

BUILD 6 TRIM.jpg BUILD 7 TRIM.jpg

Wolfpackin

Colorado
Stained here with one coat of ECOS Wood Shield water based, non toxic, No VOC's in Dark Walnut.

STAIN 2.jpg STAIN 3.jpg STAIN 4.jpg

Wolfpackin

Colorado
Pretty much the finished product here but I still have some details I want to add...

Lighting as follows, from left to right:
21" ReptiSun T5 5.0 UVB
45W halogen basking in deep dome fixture.
18" ReptiSun T8 10.0 UVB
90W halogen basking in deep dome

All lights are on timers and the basking lights also have dimmers for seasonal adjustments.

FINISHED 4.jpg FINISHED 5.jpg

Wolfpackin

Colorado
As I mentioned earlier I still need to add some details and a humid hide and will update when complete.
But now I need to rest, for at least a month!

As best as I can estimate I spent about 60 hours building this enclosure and it nearly wore me out mentally and physically.
But, I think it was worth it.

What do you think?

daniellenc

Maryland
It looks great! You’ll definitely need to do daily soaks and offer a humid hide. Maybe even add a mister but the build is awesome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks great! You’ll definitely need to do daily soaks and offer a humid hide. Maybe even add a mister but the build is awesome!
Why does he need daily soaks and a humid hide for an adult greek tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What a great build!

I have two complaints. Its too small, and that water dish is dangerous. Other than that it is excellent in both design and execution.

Wolfpackin

Colorado
Thanks Danielle and Tom.
I've gained a lot of knowledge reading both of your writings.

What a great build!

I have two complaints. Its too small, and that water dish is dangerous. Other than that it is excellent in both design and execution.

I actually agree on both.

As far as the size, it is what it is.
I can assure you that if I had bigger living quarters so would Rocky.

Yeah, the water dish...
I have talked to Rocky's main keeper (wife) about that.
I would prefer a terra cotta dish, she thinks it's fine. And he has navigated the existing water dish for years with no issues.
I've watched him go in and out and he seems to do it easily, the water is about 1" deep and it's relatively small compared to his shell, he barely fits in it.
But...I will tell her Tom says it's dangerous.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But...I will tell her Tom says it's dangerous.

This made me laugh. The age old interactions between a husband and wife…

You know how I'm always harping at people to keep their tortoise in an enclosure and not running loose in the house or yard? Well I'm having the same fight with my wife about the little monkey we are baby sitting. When he was little he would just ride around on your wrist or head, and he needed no leash. You couldn't make him leave you if you tried. But now, he's getting older and he runs all over the house and get his little monkey hands into everything. I keep harping at my wife to put him on a leash or in a cage, and stop letting him run loose, and she keeps not listening to me.

I think if a knowledgeable monkey person came along and told her the same thing I'm telling her, she'd listen.

So go ahead and tell your wife that Tom says the tortoise needs a better water bowl. Whatever it takes. :)

Wolfpackin

Colorado
This made me laugh. The age old interactions between a husband and wife…

You know how I'm always harping at people to keep their tortoise in an enclosure and not running loose in the house or yard? Well I'm having the same fight with my wife about the little monkey we are baby sitting. When he was little he would just ride around on your wrist or head, and he needed no leash. You couldn't make him leave you if you tried. But now, he's getting older and he runs all over the house and get his little monkey hands into everything. I keep harping at my wife to put him on a leash or in a cage, and stop letting him run loose, and she keeps not listening to me.

I think if a knowledgeable monkey person came along and told her the same thing I'm telling her, she'd listen.
That's awesome...funny too.

So go ahead and tell your wife that Tom says the tortoise needs a better water bowl. Whatever it takes. :)
Already done, Sir.

daniellenc

Maryland
I would say at 18 months there’s still growth going on and a humid hide with a good soak 1-2 times per week would help smooth growth continue. Especially at higher altitude where it is extremely dry.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Awesome build, thanks for sharing.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I would say at 18 months there’s still growth going on and a humid hide with a good soak 1-2 times per week would help smooth growth continue. Especially at higher altitude where it is extremely dry.
I think he is 4 yo.