My tortoise lost his feet :(

netosols

Hi! something happened to my baby tortoise back feet they just fell off. I need help !!!! ImageUploadedByTortForum1389153125.793458.jpgIm scared and dont know what to do.ImageUploadedByTortForum1389153077.828166.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389153100.393131.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389153112.959793.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Nothing you can do at this time. Is there other older tortoise in the same enclosure? Is this a red foot tortoise? I'm sorry for what happen? How old is the baby torts?

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Omg, I don't know what to say, But I called another TFO to take a look. Is it frostbite? Did it get cold? I'm at a loss for words here. Help is on the way. I'm so sorry and I hope its OK.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
OMG!!! What was the baby doing before you discovered his feet? I mean, is there an animal in the house that could have got to him? Do you have a cat, dog, or other animal?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It's important that you give your baby a warm soak now, then put him in a warm place alone and let him be safe in his hide. Tomorrow, I would seek a vet and take him there. Since there isn't any bleeding, I don't think it would hurt to put him in a warm soak; but, make sure the temp of the water is not too warm. Let him soak for 10-15 min. and then put him to bed in a warm hide.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
This is a situation where you need to take your animal to a vet. This is an emergency veterinary situation and your animal needs care. Please do not try to handle this on your own.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I hope the OP took your advise. He/She was online a few moments ago, and is now offline. I hope she was able to find a vet to see the tort as an emergency.
mctlong said:
This is a situation where you need to take your animal to a vet. This is an emergency veterinary situation and your animal needs care. Please do not try to handle this on your own.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I agree with mctlong. This is definitely a situation where a vet is needed. That tort needs help immediately, there's an infection risk and no telling what else. Poor Baby :(

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I'm really hoping and praying that the op is on the way to a vet if possible, that's scary, poor baby. It looks to definitely be a Lil Red Foot. With all the cold weather it wouldn't surprise me if this happened due to frostbite.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I seem to remember reading something about feet falling off in a thread a while back. I did a search and something similar happened to someone's tort too. As it turned out, they couldn't get the tort to a specialized vet right away. It was suggested that a soak of saline solution mix was recommended. The thing is, as with all injuries, infection is a real concern. So, the little guy needs to see a vet asap. Also, do not put him back in the enclosure with any substrate that can get on the injury. Place him on clean paper towels.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the stubs don't look bloody, so I would think some sort of circulation issue.. tissue died and feel off.. do the front feet look ok?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Looks like what one would see with the application of rubber bands. Something tight, cutting off the circulation to me.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
[DIZZY FACE][FLUSHED FACE]
I'd be freaking completely out.
I was going to say the same. Those aren't bloody stumps. Looks like a circulation issue or some sort of disease with circulation loss being a secondary symptom.
Any more info on this?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I agree with Ken on this .I know people that would put rubber bands on new born puppy tails to dock them . No blood healed ok not the way I would do it but works . The legs look like they are healed up almost . If they where frozen off you would see bone would you not?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Mike, you said it much more eloquently than I would have. I was thinking sack, as in castration. Tail docking never crossed my mind.

netosols

Thanks for all the comments. Its a 6 months old red-footed. He is alone in his enclosure. I tought of frostbite to, but he had a hot pad under his cave. Its not inside the enclosure its out side right under the rock cave where he sleeps. He seems ok he has being eating and there is no blood on his feet. The front legs are perfect. I would seek advice from a vet today. Thanks!

Maverick

5 Year Member
This looks very similar to an injury a had happen to an iguana years ago when the heat rock I was using shorted out and began to cook the iguanas feet. Please make sure you are using a thermostat or hygrotherm with your heating pad. There may be no blood because the heat and it looks like frostbite because it's a burn.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Maverick said:
This looks very similar to an injury a had happen to an iguana years ago when the heat rock I was using shorted out and began to cook the iguanas feet. Please make sure you are using a thermostat or hygrotherm with your heating pad. There may be no blood because the heat and it looks like frostbite because it's a burn.

I'm thinking heating pad, also. Those can get hotter than anyone thinks, especially when covered with something.