My tortoise likes being cold!

byviolet

I'm not sure if this is common, but my redfoot hatchling is never under his CHE! My tortoise table is open top so I keep a CHE around the middle and a humid hide underneath it, but he never seems to want to go there, instead preferring a cold corner somewhere...

I'm not sure what I should do. I made the temperature in the room around 80 degrees but this costs a lot of money to maintain...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would move the CHE over to hang above his favorite resting spot. But make sure he can get out of the direct line of it so he doesn't get overheated.

byviolet

the CHE is only 40 watts and if I hang it directly overhead it only raises temps like 5 degrees in that region (to around 85 degrees or so), and when I move it he just moves away to a different spot

M

Maggie Cummings

He's not in the corner because it's cold, he feels secure there.

M

Maggie Cummings

the CHE is only 40 watts and if I hang it directly overhead it only raises temps like 5 degrees in that region (to around 85 degrees or so), and when I move it he just moves away to a different spot
Try covering half on an end of his table with aluminum foil. Then put the CHE right at the opening there. It will hold the heat in better for him. I use glass sheets or Plexiglas the same way...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I agree with Maggie here. I'm not sure where you are in the world, so maybe heat and humidity are not an issue for you, but I run closed chambers to retain as much humidity and heat as I can. There's links in my signature to view my setup.

byviolet

Try covering half on an end of his table with aluminum foil. Then put the CHE right at the opening there. It will hold the heat in better for him. I use glass sheets or Plexiglas the same way...
that's actually a great idea! thank you! But why would he go to a corner to feel secure? I have a ton of sphagnum moss everwyhere and 2 hides...

M

Maggie Cummings

He's hiding his face in the corner, not knowing or caring that his body is sticking out. I believe that will change as he gets older...