my tortoise is hurt :(

Merari Rodriguez

Hey guys,

I was out of the city for a few days and I left my tortoise with my sister. Everything was fine until the last day. she was soaking her and she said that when she grabbed her she pushed herself out of her hands and she fell on the ground. One of her new growing shell cracked. What can I do? I tried to kind of moved it a bit so she doesn't hurt herself when she walks with her back leg. Will it heal by itself?

20150324_205317.jpg 20150324_205233.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
Hey guys,

I was out of the city for a few days and I left my tortoise with my sister. Everything was fine until the last day. she was soaking her and she said that when she grabbed her she pushed herself out of her hands and she fell on the ground. One of her new growing shell cracked. What can I do? I tried to kind of moved it a bit so she doesn't hurt herself when she walks with her back leg. Will it heal by itself?
put some Neosporin on the injury. it looks like the part that is cracked will eventually fall off.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tidgy had a carapace scute cut out with a Stanley knife before I rescued her and she went on to make a full recovery.
Hoping your tort does too.

Altah

New Mexico
Fortunately that not a super vital area but I agree apply neosporin and keep it clean. Eventually the bone around it will probably lose it's blood supply and won't be an issue. I'm sorry this happened to the little bug!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
For some reason, they all think that they can fly. The bigger, stronger ones can just about push their way out of the strongest persons fingers.
It would be so easy for an inexperienced person to drop a tort.
I'm so happy that yours looks like it will be fine.