My Tortoise is a master of disguise....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I freaked out earlier when i couldnt find jenny i searched her tub looking all over when i finally found her! she disguised her self by burrowing down slightly and burying her self and concealing the yellow spots on her shell haha she probably been trying to dig down to cool off since its so hot in texas

DSCN1599.jpg

thats jenny :p my little girl is quite the ninja :cool:

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Awwwwww, so cute!!! Don't you just hate it when they do that , because your stomach goes straight to your throat! Your all aghhhhhhhhh, and then you find them sleeping all cute looking at you like "hey lady what's the problem"

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
that black container is probably really hot.. make sure there is plenty of shade over the area and she has plenty of moisture. maybe give her some dirt to burrow in.

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
Laura said:
that black container is probably really hot.. make sure there is plenty of shade over the area and she has plenty of moisture. maybe give her some dirt to burrow in.
ya shes got a good amount of shade and water shes definetly not dehydrated she soaks on her own daily shes such a good girl :D and so your saying i should just get some dirt or soil and put it in there?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would... more natural.. mix with the wood mulch, and you can plant things in it too.. she can have a growing food source and shade..
Of course its hard to tell from that picture what your set up is..
is this just a temp outside area or does she live there?

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
Photo0085.jpg

this is her setup i have a plant in there but its in the pot so ya :/ under the cypress mulch i have this reptii bark type stuff..... so i dunno how i can add soil and i also added that little bucket as u can see in the first picture of the thread

River14

5 Year Member
I like that little set up. Its rather clever to have a pot plant because when you water it the water will seep down to the bottom and percolate upwards, though it might get a bit rotten down there that is if there are no holes in the bottom. What about making her a nice tunnel with a length of fit to size plumbing PVC pipe cut in half as roof?

Im so enjoying my hatchlings as everything is in mini for the moment. Right now they are under a very large round domed open bamboo weave basket (used as lids for imported huge baskets of veg from china or for ducks) grazing green grass and weeds. Of course I washed in bleach and water then rinsed ten times and sun dried the baskets, you never know. I just move the basket a few feet every day covering one end with a towel for shade. The rain has stopped at last, least for awhile. Though the humidity is killing. Least the BBs are happy doing there thing. Actually they are prolly asleep in the shade as its 1 30 PM. I dont disturb them at all all day in this weather its brills.
When I bring them into a safer secure spot for the night their little "mouths" are completely stained green. They are true herbivores and like nothing better than to graze on grass and weeds, just like mini rhinos ( : This set up and weather is for me such a relief as I dont have to worry about diet.

What kind of tortoise is that Addict?

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
River14 said:
I like that little set up. Its rather clever to have a pot plant because when you water it the water will seep down to the bottom and percolate upwards, though it might get a bit rotten down there that is if there are no holes in the bottom. What about making her a nice tunnel with a length of fit to size plumbing PVC pipe cut in half as roof?

Im so enjoying my hatchlings as everything is in mini for the moment. Right now they are under a very large round domed open bamboo weave basket (used as lids for imported huge baskets of veg from china or for ducks) grazing green grass and weeds. Of course I washed in bleach and water then rinsed ten times and sun dried the baskets, you never know. I just move the basket a few feet every day covering one end with a towel for shade. The rain has stopped at last, least for awhile. Though the humidity is killing. Least the BBs are happy doing there thing. Actually they are prolly asleep in the shade as its 1 30 PM. I dont disturb them at all all day in this weather its brills.
When I bring them into a safer secure spot for the night their little "mouths" are completely stained green. They are true herbivores and like nothing better than to graze on grass and weeds, just like mini rhinos ( : This set up and weather is for me such a relief as I dont have to worry about diet.

What kind of tortoise is that Addict?

she's a red foot tortoise and i like your idea about making a tunnel but how exactly would i create it ? and where theres not much room ?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Nothing like a game of find the tortoise...She did a great job of hiding herself.

River14

5 Year Member
There is plenty of room isnt there? Get some PVC pipe (to suite torty size) not vey long a few feet. Cut it down the middle just a bit lower so there is more of a curve to it, cut with a garden saw the kind used for removing small branches (or what ever but I find these saws very usefull) after that take some sand paper and smooth the cut edges round. Then gently push and work your arm down through the substrate at a not too steep an angle and push the half pipe down above your forearm, this will stop it collapsing before you are finished, and there it is finis I hope. :rolleyes: Never worry if it gets a bit blocked in there there is plenty oxygen and torts will scramble out unharmed hehehe. IM sure she will love it in that heat.:)

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
thanks for the idea on how to make that tunnel but what about flooding issues? if it rains and it gets really wet down there or something..

River14

5 Year Member
oooh is the drainage not so hot? Does the whole thing fill up with water?

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
River14 said:
oooh is the drainage not so hot? Does the whole thing fill up with water?
well we dont really get much rain and when we do i run outside and drag the tub uner the little covered walkway area we have so i dunno :/ my dad and i are going to drill a hole on the bottom side to drain water eventually...

Status
Not open for further replies.