Sick Baby Sulcatta???

Bbyk422

So about 2 days ago or so I purchased a young Sulcatta no sure of the gender or age but he's about 3 1/2 inches long. He's super lethargic, I came home a couple minutes ago and he was flipped over & looks like he either threw up on himself or was drooling. He looks weak, he pooped earlier, the poop was white and had a toothpaste texture. He drunk some water while I soaked him & seems alert (while in water). He's been lethargic since we got him, I thought he was just shy but it has not gotten better. He seems sleepy, keeps eyes closed most of the time. A lot of people said it was normal for him to sleep since he is a baby but he just seems way too tired. The Asian guy at the store said he didn't need a light, (he had 3 in a 10 gallon without a light)image.jpeg I'm on my way to get baby food, any type of advice will help until I get him to a vet tomorrow, or so. The whole family cares about him and became super attached. He hasn't been neglected, although, I should've done more reasearch before we got him.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Lucky you find this forum. The best thread to help you
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

He MUST have light. My god that guy telling you he didn't need a light.
Usually you set up temperature above 80F you will see him active. A lot you need to read, all in that links i give you above.

Keep us updated and ask anything you like to. We are here to help you and your little one.

Btw, WELCOME TO TFO!! :D

jim taylor

Location (City and/or State)
Morrisville pa
Get it warm as quick as possible. it's going to need a Uvb bulb. I use a mercury vapor bulb but it might get that tank to hot for you. Get the tank about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Your pet store guy is wrong. He is going to need a Uvb light unless u get it outside for some sun. I don't no where you live but they need two things heat and sun. You need to get him set up before it's too late and he gets sick. Please let us no what you have him set up in as far as heat and what you have in tank. That way we can walk you through what's needed to get him better. And forget the pet store guy if he said no light anything he tells you is probably wrong. I have a sulcata and so do alot of other people here. Get him some sun and fill us in so we can help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The reason he kept his eyes closed and seemed to be sleeping all the time was because he wasn't warm enough. The ambient temperature in your house is fine for you, but for a cold blooded animal that needs to sit in the sun or under a light in order to warm up his inner core, it isn't warm enough.

After you've read the threads linked for you above, come back and post a picture of the baby's habitat. We're happy to get you on the right track with him. You need to act quickly.

Reactions: Tom

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
The guy who sold him to you is an idiot. This baby is very sick. Follow the advice in the links @Tom and @Fredkas posted above and keep us posted. I hope he pulls through. Most hatchlings presenting with these symptoms do not.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
It's genuinely frightening that someone who believes it's ok for a tortoise to be kept without any kind of light is allowed to sell them. I've read about far too many people having been told the same thing!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Warmth and humidity are two very important factors to keep in mind as well as the sun.

Don't worry, you'll get the help you need at TFO. Please post pocs of your tort and his enclosure.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It's genuinely frightening that someone who believes it's ok for a tortoise to be kept without any kind of light is allowed to sell them. I've read about far too many people having been told the same thing!
I heard it here in Jordan, however this was expected, as people in this part of the world are not in the least interested in torts as pets. ( @Adel Haddad may confirm this).