My Tort Refuses To Move - Please Help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi everyone. Need help asap. My tort has been very very inactive for quite a while. I did all I could, but things are only getting worse.

The weather is extremely hot here, so I don't think that this is Oli's problem. I used to soak him , hand-feed him and allow him to roam around the flat, which he really enjoyed. However, recently, he would just crawl to a place I've named 'his favourite corner,' and he'd stay there, whether asleep or awake, hours on end. Right now he's there, and has been for about two hours, if not more.

His diet has been the same, but his appetite seems to have lessened.

I take him out for 'walks' after sunset, almost daily. There, he seems to be a totally different tort! He not only roams around, but almost 'runs!' The moment we get home something happens to his mood. Nothing has changed in the flat, and I've had Oli for about 4.5 years. Therefore, he must have got adapted to it by now. And he has never behaved in such a way; not even when the place was 'new' to him. Even during Winter when it snowed here, Oli did not behave like this.

I'd very much appreciate your help, advice and tips asap.Thanks everyone.
(Kindly note that vets for torts are NOT available here).

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
It could just be his age,he might be becoming sexualy active,or kind of like a moody teenager or something.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I forget, does he have a UV source inside? And since you're 'walking' him later because of the heat wave - how late is it? Is he still getting UVb exposure?

I know you said you had trouble taking photos (right?), but I think the experts here would be able to do a lot more with some photos of Oli and his indoor space.

I really do hope his lethargy passes soon.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I forget, does he have a UV source inside? And since you're 'walking' him later because of the heat wave - how late is it? Is he still getting UVb exposure?

I know you said you had trouble taking photos (right?), but I think the experts here would be able to do a lot more with some photos of Oli and his indoor space.

I really do hope his lethargy passes soon.
Thanks your answer as well as your help, both of which I very much appreciate.

Oli has a light which I don't use nowadays. I expose him to the sun by literally putting him on the balcony and standing very near for safety. I take Oli for 'walks' just before sunset; due to extremely hot weather. There is no other choice for the time being. (We humans have been warned NOT to go out during the day, unless there's an emergency, GOD forbid). I'm very worried about him, as he has NEVER been in such a state.

I confirm your words: photos would enable anyone to help more, but I cannot take any: there's something wrong with the camera-sorry.

Once again, thanks your help.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Wow I'm sorry :( soaking are not helping him? How old is your tort? Maybe he ate something off the floor when roaming!? When's the last he ate? Do you give him calcium as well?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hi Gillian!!!!!! I totally understand what you are talking about when you say you can only walk around sunset. I grew up in Arizona where the summer days are anywhere from 43C-50C and I know you've got it worse. I know its crazy hot now but at what time of the day did Oli go for his daily walks before?

The good news is that he is acting normal during his walks which leads me to believe that he is still a healthy tortoise. It just seams that he is unhappy while in your flat so lets see what we can do to fix that. I know you take him on a balcony but Do you have any yard space with dirt and grass at your flat or does he only get outside time during his walks?

Can you create an indoor space from him that is more natural instead of just letting him roam the flat and moping in his favorite corner?

It just doesn't sound like you're dealing with a sick tort, from what you're saying it appears more likely that Oli is unhappy with your flat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Gillian how about a large low sided box made out of wood with some outdoors substrate in it?
(For inside)
Try to duplicate the outdoors a little. It should be easy and cheap to do.
Maybe even put it on your balcony with some shade and some water.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wow I'm sorry :( soaking are not helping him? How old is your tort? Maybe he ate something off the floor when roaming!? When's the last he ate? Do you give him calcium as well?
Hi. No not eve soaking Oli is doing any good. I don't know how old he is but he's not a 'baby' and I've had him for 4.5 years. He last ate well about four hours ago, thank GOD. To be honest, I don't give Oli calcium. No, NOT carelessness, but such products are simply NOT available here,believe it or not. A few members have generously offered to send me such things which is very sweet of them.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Gillian how about a large low sided box made out of wood with some outdoors substrate in it?
(For inside)
Try to duplicate the outdoors a little. It should be easy and cheap to do.
Maybe even put it on your balcony with some shade and some water.
Thanks your advice Ed. I'd need help here; money is not the issue; but there are things a female is unable to do.

I would not put it on the balcony, as one has to keep in mind the freezing cold Winter days as well as snow.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian!!!!!! I totally understand what you are talking about when you say you can only walk around sunset. I grew up in Arizona where the summer days are anywhere from 43C-50C and I know you've got it worse. I know its crazy hot now but at what time of the day did Oli go for his daily walks before?

The good news is that he is acting normal during his walks which leads me to believe that he is still a healthy tortoise. It just seams that he is unhappy while in your flat so lets see what we can do to fix that. I know you take him on a balcony but Do you have any yard space with dirt and grass at your flat or does he only get outside time during his walks?

Can you create an indoor space from him that is more natural instead of just letting him roam the flat and moping in his favorite corner?

It just doesn't sound like you're dealing with a sick tort, from what you're saying it appears more likely that Oli is unhappy with your flat.
Hi and thanks very much your help.

During Summer we have to go out just before sunset, as there's no other choice. During Winter, we go out whenever the weather permits. It could be sunny and relatively warm, in which case we'd be out at 12 noon or 1pm.

I don't think I can create an indoor space: the flat is small enough as is. I agree with you: Oli seems to be unhappy with/in my flat, but I am wondering WHY and just cannot get anywhere. I'm going round in vicious circles uselessly. Anyway, thanks a lot your help..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks your advice Ed. I'd need help here; money is not the issue; but there are things a female is unable to do.

I would not put it on the balcony, as one has to keep in mind the freezing cold Winter days as well as snow.
I'm sorry Gillian. There are situations going on there that I can't even grasp in my mind. I take for granted that what is done here can be done elsewhere.
I feel pretty badly that i can't do more to help. I'm sure others feel the same.
If you don't mind me asking...Where are you from originally and how did you wind up in Jordan? (not that there is anything wrong with that. Just curious)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I don't think I can create an indoor space: the flat is small enough as is. I agree with you: Oli seems to be unhappy with/in my flat, but I am wondering WHY and just cannot get anywhere. I'm going round in vicious circles uselessly. Anyway, thanks a lot your help..

Not even a small space? No room in his "corner" for a low box with some soil and plants?

I wonder if he is going through hormonal changes and entering maturity and looking for a more natural setting for his natural instincts.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Not even a small space? No room in his "corner" for a low box with some soil and plants?

I wonder if he is going through hormonal changes and entering maturity and looking for a more natural setting for his natural instincts.
Hi. Thanks a lot your help.

It could be hormones.But it's all guess-work, and please do NOT take this personal-I do NOT mean you, alright? (I really do appreciate your help and advice).

I'm afraid there is no space in Oli's 'corner.' There is a big coach that I cannot move to another place, as well as the curtains.

Notice that today (after his soak) he retired to a different corner. Isn't it strange?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please, please help me! My tort's been in the same corner for more than three hours!

There must be something wrong. He eats fine, he poops and then crawls to the same corner unless:

- I move him
- We go out for a 'walk'

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I think you are going to just have to start trying different things. No one could possibly diagnose Oli over the Internet like this. You've got a hard situation in Jordan, where the normal tools available to tortoise owners aren't available, so you'll need to get creative. Oli is eating and defecating and active when exploring outside, so I don't think panic is in order yet.

Do you have house plants? Do you have space to add any? What about just adding a big flat natural rock to the ground? If you can't put an enclosure in your flat, at least your flat could look a little more like a tortoise habitat. Hopefully some people here will have creative ideas for you. If you don't have a camera working, could you maybe draw (on the computer) a little scale diagram of the room you have to work with? That might help people give you ideas.

Have you been able to order seeds online to try growing some more interesting food options for Oli to help broaden his diet?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's hot here. Not crazy hot. But about 91-94. And very,very humid.
All of my tortoises hang out inside their hides during the hottest part of the day. They look outside but only come out very quickly if there is food and then retreat for the shade again.
Oli eats and Oli drinks. That is great.
Whatever it is that makes him feel uncomfortable inside your apartment is still a mystery, but he eats and drinks. I wouldn't be too worried right now.
(It sounds like he's looking for a place to go and hide...from whatever. And winds up in a corner)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Yes I did wonder of he likes being out because he has reached that age where he is interested in the ladies and thinks he may find one. Who knows what's on his mind.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi. Thanks a lot your help.

It could be hormones.But it's all guess-work, and please do NOT take this personal-I do NOT mean you, alright? (I really do appreciate your help and advice).

I'm afraid there is no space in Oli's 'corner.' There is a big coach that I cannot move to another place, as well as the curtains.

Notice that today (after his soak) he retired to a different corner. Isn't it strange?
Sounds like he's looking for cover. What about getting a cardboard box ( just big enough for Oli) with the flaps still on it.
Put it on its side and arrange the flaps like a doorway for Oli
Put paper or an old towel on the floor and see if he will use that.
Maybe put some potted plants around it - whatever you can get as long as they're tort safe.
It's not ideal because it may get soggy if he wees in it, but, if you can get cardboxes, you just replace when needed.
It's what I used for Lola when I first took him in.
He was quite happy and still likes to explore boxes now, just lies at the entrance and watches the world.