My sulcatas diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
so far so good, i think!

she is eating dried grasses and hay 5 days a week, with fresh grass growing in her enclosure and she is eating it as fast as it grows!
every other day i do hey pellets in water spread on dark greens and she loves them!
but 1-2 days a week she gets... treats....

a tiny bit of soft gell, about 3 bites for her. a pinch of tortois pellets. a sprinkle of calcium, and some dried vegies and cactus reconstitiuted, mushed to geather witht he hey pellets and water. i spread this mix over romaine or endive, and she chows down! i know comerciel pellets,a nd soft gel arent great for them that is why i only do a very small amount. I mush it all togeather and she eats about half of what i put out. which in total is aproximatly 1.5 table spoons.

hot end is 105 f and cool end is 70f i have uvb and eat during the day and a red light for night. I have a rock in the middle that shee eats on and her red light is on all the time, so it stays warm for her there.

she soaks as she wants and i also put her in the warm water bowl each morning when i give her fresh water.

libby is 6 weeks old

im attaching pics of the treats and the new enclosure.

i

Attachments

• DSCN0653 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0653 (Medium).JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0657 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0657 (Medium).JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN0661 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0661 (Medium).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0666 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0666 (Medium).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0667 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0667 (Medium).JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 38

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Pretty Pets Small tort food
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+7891+6447&pcatid=6447 click on more info
Ingredients: Ground Oats, Ground Oat Hulls, Ground Corn, Calcium Carbonate, Corn Gluten Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Choline Chloride, Natural and Artificial Flavors, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, D-Biotin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacinamide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Natural and Artificial Colors, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K3), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate.

Mazuri tort food
https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=1
Ingredients: Ground soybean hulls, ground corn, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, wheat middlings, cane molasses, soybean oil, wheat germ, dehydrated alfalfa meal, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, brewer dried yeast, calcium carbonate, salt, DL-methionine, choline chloride, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (vitamine K), pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-alpha tocepheryl acetate (natural source vitamine E), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Biotin, L-lysine, tocopherols (apreservative), calcium pantothenate, vitamine A acetate, riboflavin, folic acid, nicotinic acid, thiamin mono nitrate, vitabin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite.

Please be aware the early years are the years that problems will be most identifiable and happen fastest.
This is a sample list of what is in Pretty Pets Small Tort Food and Mazuri Tort Food.
When a tort is so small I would feed greens and treat with flowers like rose or Hibiscus or dandelion flowers real cactus. And pass on the commercial diets and treats.
Here are some sites that list food for Sullys
http://www.turtlecafe.com/ediblelandscaping.htm
http://www.africantortoise.com/
http://www.sulcata-station.org/faq.html

But if I was going to use any commercial food I would chose Mazuri as it is the same food many Zoos use for their torts. This is my personal feelings I am not a vet, or an expert just a lover of torts.

Libby is a beautiful Sully, and her tort table is very nice. Did you make it yourself?

Shawn and Dianne

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lakeland, FL
Enclosure looks good, nice to have a bit of room to grow. I would say you don't need all those different kinds of pellets, especially if she is already eating grass and hay, most young ones don't like that. I would instead spoil her with a flower! Good luck and have fun!

Dianne

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you for your input. she doesnt like dandylion, hybiscus, or rose buds. i havnt tried any other flowers, she loves the hybiscus leaves though. the pellets she might eat like 10 a week! and the zoo med (pellets) are jsut hey,and i think are wonderful. i do greens as a treat, but like i said she eats hey as her primary diet.

yes i did make it my self, it is an under bed box, with papertowels in one end with the heat uvb and red heat for night, and the food water and "basking" stone, she eats on it and then sprawls out! soooo cute! and the other end is top soil, i baked, and cleaned. with burmuda, wheet, timothy, and (fescue?) yeah.. i want to plant alot more.. its not growing very good right now, when we compleat our move tot he new house, i an building her a "lunch box" all nummy plants so she can go out in it and get some sun and pig out! :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jupiterannette, Hibiscus leaves are great for her as is wondering jew, spider plant and maybe some clover.
Her enclosure looks great. If you want the plants to grow better inside you must have a plant light (UVA) or you can get a full specturm Mercury Vapor Bulb which will provide UVB, UVA and heat, these are much more expensive than a plain UVA. Sounds like you are doing great thinking ahead about her "lunch box" outside for some real sun and fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.