My Sulcata pooped!

WickkedCupcake

I've had my sulcata tortoise for 2 weeks now, he's a 16 inch 40-50lbs tortoise. I havent had a chance to get an accurate weight on him. Today he pooped, this is his first time since we've had him.

His previous owners ONLY fed him veggies and lettuce. So they told me that his poop was very Watery, smelly, and green. We've changed his diet to a small amount of lettuce, some veggies and a couple of pieces of fruit every few days.

So like I said! This was his first poop, he has successfully pooped solid, black and wet looking poop. This is good right? I read another thread saying that that's what it should look like.

The problem is, they had him in cedar bedding; which was changed immediately. But after his initial poop. He's been pooping out cedar chips for about 10 minutes now; not straight, but, it's a little discerning. Should I be worried? I mean, he's pooping a lot of cedar pieces.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As long as he's well-hydrated the substrate should all come out.

I've been caring for a 40lb sulcata until I could adopt him out, and I must say, that tortoise poops more than I've ever seen in my life. He poops out at least 6 or 8 'cigars' twice a day.

However, this tortoise is in the back yard and grazes almost all day long.

At 40 or 50lbs, your tortoise should also be able to graze. Grass and weeds are a much more healthful diet for sulcatas than grocery store greens.