Poop question from an overly worried mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello everyone,

A week ago yesterday (Wednesday) my husband gave me a 3-4 month old red footed tortoise for my Birthday. He is so cute and I'm in love with him already!
My question is about his poop.... :D The day we brought him home he pooped twice, then I soaked him two days later and he pooped in the sink. I saw poop in his cage at least once over the weekend, then I soaked him again on Monday. He didn't poop in the sink this time, but when I returned him to his cage I found fresh poop on the moss. Anyway, now it's Thursday and I haven't seen any poop since Monday. I soaked him again this morning but didn't see any poop in the sink or his cage. He is on moss so I'm sure it's possible his poop is "hiding", but I look very thoroughly.

His humidity stays between 65 - 85 % (usually in the mid 70's to 80), and his temp stays between 85 - 92 in his warm area, and in the low 80's in his cool area, and a little cooler in his hide. I also spray him down 1-2 times per day, and he voluntarily goes into his shallow water bowl at least once a day.

Anyway, should I be concerned about not seeing poop? I read somewhere that torts sometimes eat their excrement. Is that true? He is eating his greens, fruit and veggies very well. He almost "runs" to his bowl when I put it down. :p

Any suggestions or assurances would be very very very much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

--Rachael

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Poop-question-from-an-overly-worried-mom#ixzz1VOXwXRcT

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
TonkaLuv said:
Hello everyone,

A week ago yesterday (Wednesday) my husband gave me a 3-4 month old red footed tortoise for my Birthday. He is so cute and I'm in love with him already!
My question is about his poop.... :D The day we brought him home he pooped twice, then I soaked him two days later and he pooped in the sink. I saw poop in his cage at least once over the weekend, then I soaked him again on Monday. He didn't poop in the sink this time, but when I returned him to his cage I found fresh poop on the moss. Anyway, now it's Thursday and I haven't seen any poop since Monday. I soaked him again this morning but didn't see any poop in the sink or his cage. He is on moss so I'm sure it's possible his poop is "hiding", but I look very thoroughly.

His humidity stays between 65 - 85 % (usually in the mid 70's to 80), and his temp stays between 85 - 92 in his warm area, and in the low 80's in his cool area, and a little cooler in his hide. I also spray him down 1-2 times per day, and he voluntarily goes into his shallow water bowl at least once a day.

Anyway, should I be concerned about not seeing poop? I read somewhere that torts sometimes eat their excrement. Is that true? He is eating his greens, fruit and veggies very well. He almost "runs" to his bowl when I put it down. :p

Any suggestions or assurances would be very very very much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

--Rachael

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Poop-question-from-an-overly-worried-mom#ixzz1VOXwXRcT

I don't have any advice for you, but I can sympathize with the poop fascination, lol. Everyone in my house is always on poop watch! Even with all of the other discussions we have about Franky, I bet we say the word "poop" more than anything else.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Check the hides. Mine alway's poop where they sleep. If I am not quick about cleaning up the poop i sometimes notice a dark coloration around my baby's mouth, which means…. yep!!!

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
cemmons12 said:
Id say if he is eating good, then yep, he is prolly eating it also....

Thank you Cemmons :)

I've been doing some more research since I posted the question, and I think that is probably what is happening too. He really does seem healthy and happy and is eating great.

Here's a different Q though: Little Tonka can't quite get it through his red head that my fingers are not food! lol. He enjoys being rubbed, and will even walk onto my hand when I place it in his cage, but, he also watches my fingers (and especially finger nails!) and will flat out bite me. I know he's not being aggressive or scared because he is very relaxed in my hand....he just wants to eat everything! He's only a few months old, so, is this something he will grow out of and figure out over time? Right now it barely hurts, but in a few years........yikes! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.