My sister threw my tortoise away!!!!!!

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
My little sister is six and was playing with donny,my one year old sulcata. My mom said that since it was garbage day to put any trash that we had in the garbage and bring it out to the curb. I went upstairs to get my trash from my room. I put it in the big garbage can and brought it out to the curb. I came back in. "Wheres donny?? " my sister ( onalee) smiles and shrugs. "what did you do with donatello!" She laughs and points out the window to the curb. Ugh!!! So i ran out side and opened the garbage and untied the bags... And sure enough there he was. Luckily he was still alive!!! I hugged him and we went back inside. But onalee isnt aloud near him EVER again...

one baby sulcata and one russian tortoise
<3 Tortluvr<3

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm glad he is ok, but I would never let a six year old handle my tortoise.
She can't understand.
I would have a lock on his enclosure.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, keep her away. And maybe mom needs to talk to your sister about how to treat living things? I work with 6 year olds. She is definitely old enough to understand that.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i agree, i never let small children hold my tortoises. in case they pee and the child drops them and just for general risk of salmonella. they can hold them in their enclosure (maybe 3" off the ground), hand feed them and pet them, that's it.

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thank goodness your tortoise was not in the trash truck when you found out. Little baby sister needs a very strong talking to about living things not be trash to throw away. Close.Call. Very close call. : 0

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I would have gotten the belt for such an act. Hope you made it very clear what she do was very wrong.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
I agree, a lock on the cage is a good investment for the future.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
lisa127 said:
Yes, keep her away. And maybe mom needs to talk to your sister about how to treat living things? I work with 6 year olds. She is definitely old enough to understand that.

BIG DITTO ON THIS ONE. I hope your mother took it serious enough to punish the sister and teach her how living things are treated.
Glad you caught it in time and he's okay. I wouldn't let her near him at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Time to put little sister in a garbage bag and set her out at the curb! :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne G said:

I do like this idea! :D I agree with others who said that Mom should be having a talk with your sister and the tortoises should be off limits to her.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I just don't get why a 6 year old was "playing" with a tortoise... Especially unsupervised. And I agree, a 6 year old should have more respect for living things. The 4 year old I take care of treats spiders and rolly pollys like their kings lol
I wouldn't laugh about this either.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Cruelty to animals violates the law. She was cruel. My children, at six would never have mistreated any animal in such a way. Your sister has big issues that should be adressed by a professional child psychologist. This is intolerable and cruel, to the tortoise and to you. Her act was deeply disrespectful of you, and meant to hurt you.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Yes my mom has had a long talk.. Onalee is grounded and no tortoises if she touches them theres gunna be a bigger consequence

one baby sulcata and one russian tortoise
<3 Tortluvr<3

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That would be a great object lesson she'll never forget Lol

Yvonne G said:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yay for mom. Besides, those tortoises are your babies. Imagine if you did not get it in time, your heart would have been so broken. Baby sisters can be so naughty. But not for long. Thanks to mom.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I am so glad the tort is ok. My sister, similar age, thought my pregnant guppy was tired of swimming and put it down for a nap. (no pun intended). Well, mom was pregnant at the time, and very tired...so. dead guppy. Again, VERY glad the tort is ok.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sounds like she is jealous and I would watch things closely... 6 years old.. she knows what she did, and it was wrong.
I would put locks on your enclosures.
and with the sulcata and the Russian.. you have them separate right?

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Im the oldest of 5....what i can tell you is, sibling discipline always leaves a longer lasting impression than parental discipline IMO...follow this... 1 grab lil sister by ankles, 2 flip lil sister upside down, 3 shake lil sister until she crys "uncle", then make her swear to leave the torts alone.....betcha it works :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app