My Russians are mating... they are both males!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
When I purchased my torts they said one was a female and the other male. After doing some research I discovered they are both males according to their tails, but now they are mating. I checked online and it is for sure what they are doing. Is it possible for a female to have a tail that looks like a male? Do males behave that way? Help please!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
If you can post pictures of the plastron we can tell you if they're female or male. Sometimes they climb on top of each other as domination are you positive there was a penis involved? ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Post pics of the anal scute area and we can sex them for you. If they are both males then they aren't mating and one of them is being dominated. Not good. Long term stress like that will eventually cause him to get sick. If its a male and a female, be careful because a male in an enclosure with a lone female will often harass her to the point of injury or sickness. Be prepared to separate them either way.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Oh,well,I guess they can join the Army if they want to. I'm sorry,I just couldn't resist. Forgive me.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Torty Mom said:
Candy, do males have a concave plastron like the CDT's and a few other species?

Mary Anne I don't actually know if male Russians have a concave plastron or not. I thought all males would but not positive about that one. I only know that Dale does and Fernando does. Well have to wait and see if someone else can answer this. Now I'm curious. :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
They are your children so you should love then no matter what their sexual preference is :)

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
Candy said:
If you can post pictures of the plastron we can tell you if they're female or male. Sometimes they climb on top of each other as domination are you positive there was a penis involved? ;)

I couldn't tell if there was a penis involved. I will get some pics and post them tomorrow at the latest. Thank you!

Tom said:
Post pics of the anal scute area and we can sex them for you. If they are both males then they aren't mating and one of them is being dominated. Not good. Long term stress like that will eventually cause him to get sick. If its a male and a female, be careful because a male in an enclosure with a lone female will often harass her to the point of injury or sickness. Be prepared to separate them either way.

Thank you for this infor. I am going to post the pics by tomorrow at the latest. I appreciate the help. The last time I tried to upload photos it didn't work, so I hope it lets me this time!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, male Russian tortoises don't have a concave plastron. Its just as flat as a female's. They only difference is a VERY large tail on a male. Tom's post was a good one.

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
Angi said:
They are your children so you should love then no matter what their sexual preference is :)

I do love them no matter what :) I just hope they are both ok, I am super confused right now, lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Winnie-and-Oliver said:
Thank you for this infor. I am going to post the pics by tomorrow at the latest. I appreciate the help. The last time I tried to upload photos it didn't work, so I hope it lets me this time!

Try using tinypic.com

Its really easy. No sign up. No account. No hassle. Just upload any size photo and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Winnie-and-Oliver said:

Try using tinypic.com

Its really easy. No sign up. No account. No hassle. Just upload any size photo and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

Ok, hope this works, otherwise i will have to try your suggestion from my home computer tonight

Winnie-and-Oliver said:
Tom said:
Winnie-and-Oliver said:

Try using tinypic.com

Ok, hope this works, otherwise i will have to try your suggestion from my home computer tonight

Both of these pics are of the one we are thinking might be a female

Attachments

• NHGD.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 46
  • untitled.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 42

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm thinking that you've got yourself two males there. ;)

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
Candy said:
I'm thinking that you've got yourself two males there. :(

Thats what I thought =) The weird thing is that when Oliver is on top of Winnie, he has his mouth wide open, tongue hanging out, and is making that squeeking noise! So this must mean he is being mean to Winnie and they need to be separated?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
He might just be trying to use his stuff. :D He's young right? Maybe he's just practicing. :p You're probably going to end up separating them because he will stress out the other one by trying to dominate him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The picture shows a male russian tortoise. When they breed, the male opens his mouth and vocalizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.