My russian tortoises dont drink much water

Simmy

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin
I recently brought 2 Russian tortoises and they live in my small garden and are active and eat and sleep well. However they never drink water even if we keep fresh water daily. They love to eat lettuce not sure if the water content in lettuce is sufficient for them any advise on how much water should they be consuming per day?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

they should have a varied diet and if you soak them they will learn to drink

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Russians don't consume water often like other animals or tortoises. In fact Russians can go a long time without water. You might not be watching them at the times they are consuming water, that little bit of consumption is enough for them. They know when they need to drink. So don't worry! IF it makes you feel better you can soak your guys in a warm bath so that their limbs and tail can naturally get hydrated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

They should never live as pairs, so you ought to give them each their own enclosure ASAP.

Lettuce is not a good tortoise food. More info in the care sheet on that.

What type of water bowl are you using? Should be something shallow and sunk into the ground so they can approach it and drink easily without having to get over a raised edge with their rigid shells.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Russian tortoises are a species that rarely drinks water, since they are programmed to live without it for so long in their native habitat. Nothing to worry about, some of mine have never been caught drinking. Just continue giving water access and they'll be fine.

Simmy

Dublin
Hello and welcome.

They should never live as pairs, so you ought to give them each their own enclosure ASAP.

Lettuce is not a good tortoise food. More info in the care sheet on that.

What type of water bowl are you using? Should be something shallow and sunk into the ground so they can approach it and drink easily without having to get over a raised edge with their rigid shells.

Simmy

Dublin
Thanks for the useful insight will look into the care sheet and make the changes ASAP