Is your tortoise not drinking water?

turdle yerdle

Location (City and/or State)
IL
If you don't see that your tortoise isn't drinking water check for red flags, if they look fine they might just have the water they need. You can feed high water content things like watermelon or celery etc. Another way to get water into their system is to soak them or bathe them (with no soap) they will absorb some of the water. If you're still worried put your tortoise in his or her water bowl, if they do not drink that is completely fine. If your tortoise is dehydrated and sick go to a vet.

Pbooth1

This was definitely something that bothered me at first. Over a year of having him, I can probably count the amount of times I've seen my russian drink on 1 hand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since this thread is in the Russian Tortoise section, I'm assuming it was directed towards the Russian tortoises. So, in that vein, I'll just say that rather than feed your Russian tortoise watermelon, etc. you can just spray water over his food daily. Also, place him into a container of shallow water...a container that he can't climb out of, and leave him there for at least 15 minutes, daily.

turdle yerdle

IL
Ed Rd
Since this thread is in the Russian Tortoise section, I'm assuming it was directed towards the Russian tortoises. So, in that vein, I'll just say that rather than feed your Russian tortoise watermelon, etc. you can just spray water over his food daily. Also, place him into a container of shallow water...a container that he can't climb out of, and leave him there for at least 15 minutes, daily.
Thank you for pointing that out I meant to say that to feed watermelon but not too much. Thanks so much

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ed Rd
Thank you for pointing that out I meant to say that to feed watermelon but not too much. Thanks so much

Everybody will have differing opinions on this.

I recommend no fruit or water melon.

I have seen many cases of tortoises of any species that for one reason or another, just didn't want to drink their water. Most often its because people are using the wrong type of bowl, but there can be many reasons. Because of this, regular soaks are just cheap insurance against all the potential dehydration related health problems.

Thanks for bringing attention to this important issue.

BudderTurtle

Thanks so much for this turtle yerdle my tortoise has not been drinking lately, I will definitely take all these tips. This forum is Amazing!