My russian tortoise woke up in the middle of the night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salgadoxx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baldwin Park, CA
Is it normal for my russian tortoise to wake up in the middle of the night just to wander? last night my tortoise woke up after sleeping for a while then i heard alot of noise and she was atively walking and wanting to climb things in my bedroom like she would normally do during the daytime. As far as temperature goes it is beginning to get cooler outside where she normally sleeps so i bring her into my bed room to sleep where it is warm. however she never does that, this is the first time i saw her wake up at night and not fully sleeping.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Hi! Russian torts all over the state country world are responding to the seasonal changes right now. If he is getting colder than 60 degrees at night he will want to brumate. But if he is going to stay above that in his enclosure then let him be. Russians need to cool off at night to aid their digestion. It is also their habit to move around more whenever the temperature is comfortable for them. Which is not necessarily during the daylight hours. I would suggest checking your temps in his enclosure and make sure your uv source is still viable. They are only effective for so long. If he's doing something different then make sure he has everything he needs and he will probably settle down to his usual routine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have a heat or a light source on him at night?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Sounds pretty normal - my torts sometimes wake up and rearrange their furniture (clunk and clonk in their enclosure) for 20 or so mins, maybe bask a little under the ceramic heat lamp, then crawl back into their hide house.

Tom said:
Do you have a heat or a light source on him at night?

Salgadoxx

5 Year Member
Baldwin Park, CA
thanks so much for your answers, i appreciate each contribution. Carly is doing much better now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.