my Russian acrobat...

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Is a ridiculous amount of climbing normal with Russians? Like he's found a way to climb wheat grass, and has found a way to climb up and down from from the tippy top of his hide by vertically scaling the side of his terrarium with the help of a fake cactus. He's nuts. He's like my kids! Is it the age or something? Why has he suddenly become so.....acrobatic/fearless?

OH my gosh. As I write this I actually witnessed him ride a branch of his fake cactus to the ground from atop his hut like an elevator and walk off like it was no big deal. . Oh to have caught that on video!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yes, they climb anything and everything. That's why you have to make sure their enclosures are escape proof. Somebody on here has a picture of the Russian climbing straight up a wall. Just for safety sake, you want to make sure that there is nothing to climb on directly under the basking light, just in case he flips and can't get turned back over. But chances are he won't have any problem. I think it is because their shells are not as dumb as other tortoise species, I could be wrong on that but that is my opinion.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Mine does this as well. They are known escape artist.

Anthony32

Here is my RT Tedo doing the same thing I had to get rid of the plant due to he keep climbing in it and falling upside down ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420254239.234838.jpg oh and he knocks the thermometer down had to move that too hahaha

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
HAHAHAHAH!!!! LOVE the video!!!!
Complete with captions and the perfect music!!! :p :p :p