My RF and Hermit Crab :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I think these two are becoming good buddies. Yesterday I found them standing next to each other just sitting there and today they shared a meal together.

tort and Simon.JPGtort and Simon.JPG

Attachments

• tort and simon to.JPG
    tort and simon to.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Does the hermit crab have a personality? Do they stink? Tell me about him. I don't know anything about them.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thats great :)do you feed they any thing else our do they eat what the torts eat I bought two a few weeks ago an one passed last week the other one stays buried in the substrate I do not see it that much:cool:

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Angi said:
Does the hermit crab have a personality? Do they stink? Tell me about him. I don't know anything about them.

I love watching him. He cruises around, digs, switches shells and eats. The shell he is wearing in the pic is is "fat" shell. it is a new one that I put in and is pretty big for him yet but he seems to love it. He always wears it to eat ... lol then the one behind the tort he wears for cruising since it is smaller and he can navigate it around better. He eats the same thing as the tort, needs the same humidity and heat levels. (the main reason I went with a RF) I just put a little extra forrest earth under the water area so he has a place to dig down deep when he molts. They will dig and disappear for a couple weeks and then re immerge. I have 2 but one is still in the old tank because he was dug down.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i have two hermit crabs in with my red foot as well, and the one hermit crab Eugene sleeps next to Ophelia (he basically has run of the place) :)
but question for you! how did you get your hermit crabs to switch shells? i have a shell in there, but neither will switch, how many shells do you have in your enclosure?

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
heyprettyrave said:
i have two hermit crabs in with my red foot as well, and the one hermit crab Eugene sleeps next to Ophelia (he basically has run of the place) :)
but question for you! how did you get your hermit crabs to switch shells? i have a shell in there, but neither will switch, how many shells do you have in your enclosure?

right now I only have 2 so he has one to switch into. They like the ones that have the rounded opening and are smooth inside. I try to keep a couple each for them. They are always growing so try to have one a bit bigger too. He really likes the brown one. Hard to find good large shells. Came across this one at Petsmart when I was in looking around for tort supplies.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Ohhh, I didn't know you could keep hermit crabs with torts, interesting...maybe I'll get one haha :)

My little sister has one whos shell is a sheep :D

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I wanna get a hermit crab and just make all his shells for him :D I would enjoy that hahahahah :p

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I'm waiting for Madkins007 to chime in.
He has a lot of experience with having the crabs.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
cdmay said:
I'm waiting for Madkins007 to chime in.
He has a lot of experience with having the crabs.

Do tell... ;)

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
that is adorable!!
So the ones I see at the beach here are they the salt water ones? They don't seem to go 'in' the ocean they just are all over the shore... they don't have a round shell more a pointy one...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I actually wrote a care sheet on hermits years and years ago...

http://tortnet.darchorizons.com/hermit.html

Just a tip - keeping a single hermit is not advised. They are very social, and in the wild live in groups of 5 to 5,000. They make a lot of social movements and sounds. Typical captive lifespan is 1-4 years, but they can live to be 15 or more if cared for properly, up to 35 years.

All hermit crabs are wild caught, as they are impossible to breed in captivity. Neat critters - I have 4. :)

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
That is a great CareSheet Kyryah! I did a little research and it was nothing like as good as that... they sound soo cute <3
I feel bad now I'm sure I probably have trodden on one at the beach there are literally thousands of them the ground just moves.. :/ In the pebbly parts..

Ooo I have a Good Question :) Where do the shells come from, so if you have to supply them with a larger shell where do the shells come from originally? Yes obviously older ones die so then they have a shell to take but where do the original shells come from?

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
kyryah said:
I actually wrote a care sheet on hermits years and years ago...

http://tortnet.darchorizons.com/hermit.html

Just a tip - keeping a single hermit is not advised. They are very social, and in the wild live in groups of 5 to 5,000. They make a lot of social movements and sounds. Typical captive lifespan is 1-4 years, but they can live to be 15 or more if cared for properly, up to 35 years.

All hermit crabs are wild caught, as they are impossible to breed in captivity. Neat critters - I have 4. :)

Well I guess my little sister needs more :D I'll have to tell my dad that!

Status
Not open for further replies.