Hermit crabs and Hermann's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I just get the next size up from the small ones- golf ball or so. Remember, though, that hermit crabs do best in small groups.

It is kind of funny- here we discuss this like it is a new or odd thing, and I guess from what I have read that it is a pretty common thing in Germany.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
As far as keeping red-footed and hermits together- I've done it for almost three years now with no problems. The crabs pretty much leave the torts alone, and the torts sometimes nibble on the calcium-rich shells (I leave several extra shells around for the crabs and for the torts to gnaw on), and sometimes one of the torts will get a little aggressive towards a crab- but they are pretty well defended themselves and I have had no loses or injuries due to either species.

The climate for red-footeds is close enough to the climate needed by the typical pet shop crab that it is not a problem, and while cypress may not be the top substrate choice for them, it seems to work OK for mine.

I did end up getting a redfoot instead of a Hermanns this time and I also put them in with her but she was afraid of them so I'm gonna wait a lil bit longer before reintroducing them again

Madkins007 said:
I just get the next size up from the small ones- golf ball or so. Remember, though, that hermit crabs do best in small groups.

It is kind of funny- here we discuss this like it is a new or odd thing, and I guess from what I have read that it is a pretty common thing in Germany.

Mine are both golf ball sized

wildak said:
Well I have been reading up on hermit crabs, wow lots of flavors. I was thinking of matching the size of the crab with the tortoise. How big do they get ? Or I guess what size do you have with the redfoots Madkins ? Like tennis ball sized ?
Here's a cool site if you have friend nearby to split 50. http://www.tropicshells.com/live_crabs
I am looking for different climate ones but I doubt that their are any desert variety.

This is the biggest one I could find. May work for an Aldabra enclosure.

Hissing roaches lol yeah that would go over well.

What about dung beattles ? Hermit crabs, African Nightcrawlers and dung beatles, you have everything covered except something to clean and fill the water for you.

Where did u find that picture?! That's crazy lol I know it couldn't possibly find a shell that large but could be trying to climb the trash can to make a new "home" they'll make homes out of anything if they can't find a shell. Coke bottles and all sorts of things are u sure it's real? Also my crabs are golf ball sized

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The above photo is a Coconut Crab- they only use shells when young. The adults, like the one shown, don't need them any longer. They actually do 'attack' and eat coconuts as a small part of their diet!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
When I first started keeping Redfoots I saw that hermit crabs had the same requirements, so I kept them together. The Redfoots liked them especially when the crabs had to switch shells. Inside six months the count was two Redfoots and zero crabs. I can't speak for Testudo species but with forest type torts crabs are food.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Itort said:
When I first started keeping Redfoots I saw that hermit crabs had the same requirements, so I kept them together. The Redfoots liked them especially when the crabs had to switch shells. Inside six months the count was two Redfoots and zero crabs. I can't speak for Testudo species but with forest type torts crabs are food.

Odd. In the last three years, I have watched my crabs change shells quite a bit- no tortoise attacks. Of course, the crabs tended to act in the evening when the tortoises were pretty much down for the night.

I wonder what makes the difference? Space allowances? Relative sizes?

wildak

5 Year Member
Well I picked up 3 small (quarter size) Ecuadorian ones (the chirpers) to put in with my 6" Impressa group and 3 big purple pinchers (golf ball) ones to put in with my big stars.

We shall see, the Impressa are so smart I could see them using a stick to pry them out.

Bryan

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
wildak said:
This is the biggest one I could find. May work for an Aldabra enclosure.

alaskanmoosetick.jpg

Last time I saw something like that involved a sugar cube! ;)

Itort said:

That was always my thinking...perhaps if the hermits are large enough, the redfoots might be inclined to ignore 'em?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
This is a very interesting thread. When my redfoot gets larger, and moves into the permanent indoor pen, I may consider adding a group of hermits in there.

[HINT: The Reptile Report needs to highlight this thread!]

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
This is a very interesting thread. When my redfoot gets larger, and moves into the permanent indoor pen, I may consider adding a group of hermits in there.

[HINT: The Reptile Report needs to highlight this thread!]

You must also keep in mind hermit crabs should have dechlorinated fresh water and some access to salt water which the tortoises can't have. Also tap water is fine for torts so u should find a way to keep the hermit crab water inaccessible to the torts :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
DanaLachney said:
You must also keep in mind hermit crabs should have dechlorinated fresh water and some access to salt water which the tortoises can't have. Also tap water is fine for torts so u should find a way to keep the hermit crab water inaccessible to the torts :)

I don't think offering dechlorinated water to tortoises would be a problem, likely an upgrade from regular tap water. Its the saltwater that would present an issue. One solution is simply taking out the crabs once/twice a week and soaking them in a saltwater bath.

Posted by Madkins007:
As far as keeping red-footed and hermits together- I've done it for almost three years now with no problems. The crabs pretty much leave the torts alone, and the torts sometimes nibble on the calcium-rich shells (I leave several extra shells around for the crabs and for the torts to gnaw on), and sometimes one of the torts will get a little aggressive towards a crab- but they are pretty well defended themselves and I have had no loses or injuries due to either species.

Mark, how did you circumvent this issue? Do your hermits have regular access to saltwater, or do you just do periodic soaks? Do you offer it at all?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Something that I have considered as far as offering saltwater to the crabs is this;

Hermit crabs really love to climb. If you give them a little burlap or something that they can use to climb up beyond where the torts can get, and they have a little saltwater dish on a shelf up there, that would work out really well.

A friend of mine on another forum found these little soap dishes that suction cup to glass, and she painted and repurposed them for her Crested Gecko. I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be done for hermies. I will try to find pictures...here they are! I hope posting images works the same here as it does there.

6957719729_8888b077b0_z.jpg

6957720425_7f7489e021_z.jpg

6811609334_ea8f91c7c6_z.jpg

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I don't think offering dechlorinated water to tortoises would be a problem, likely an upgrade from regular tap water. Its the saltwater that would present an issue. One solution is simply taking out the crabs once/twice a week and soaking them in a saltwater bath.

Yes this is very true but can get extremely expensive in a sense

NudistApple said:
Something that I have considered as far as offering saltwater to the crabs is this;

Hermit crabs really love to climb. If you give them a little burlap or something that they can use to climb up beyond where the torts can get, and they have a little saltwater dish on a shelf up there, that would work out really well.

A friend of mine on another forum found these little soap dishes that suction cup to glass, and she painted and repurposed them for her Crested Gecko. I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be done for hermies. I will try to find pictures...here they are! I hope posting images works the same here as it does there.

I've always heard that but my hermit crabs don't do anything they just stay in their hide all the time except coming out to eat and drink occasionally I'm a little worried about them

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
DanaLachney said:
One solution is simply taking out the crabs once/twice a week and soaking them in a saltwater bath.

Yes this is very true but can get extremely expensive in a sense

How so? It's not as if the price/cost of making or acquiring the saltwater changes by placing it in a soaking pan as opposed to a permanent dish within the enclosure. In fact, I see more pros than cons with this method: one less water dish to rinse/clean and fill up on a daily basis, no worry about the tortoises' access to saltwater, and you are ensuring the crabs are getting a routine "dose" of saltwater every week.

Not necessarily trying to be argumentative, just curious why it could be, in your words "extremely expensive."

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
How so? It's not as if the price/cost of making or acquiring the saltwater changes by placing it in a soaking pan as opposed to a permanent dish within the enclosure. In fact, I see more pros than cons with this method: one less water dish to rinse/clean and fill up on a daily basis, no worry about the tortoises' access to saltwater, and you are ensuring the crabs are getting a routine "dose" of saltwater every week.

Not necessarily trying to be argumentative, just curious why it could be, in your words "extremely expensive."

I wasn't talking about the salt water. I was talking about dechlorinating the water. I buy pre-dechlorinated bottled water with the minerals already added that they need for my hermit crabs. It's only $2 bucks and one bottle lasts a very long time. I also read that their water used to spray the hermis enclosure should be dechlorinated ergo if u use only dechlorinated water in your torts whole enclosure it COULD get expensive. I know I go through ALOT of water with my tort. I'm planning to get a water purifier for my faucet so the water is more pure for ny tortoise. :)

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Aah! My mistake. Yeah, I can see your point then about dechlorinating all the water.

Perhaps we should wait for Madkins to confirm how he handles this :) it could be he uses tap water for the torts AND hermit crabs? Since he currently keeps them together :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I use tap water for everyone, I don't even age it first (which allows much of the chlorine to 'gas out' over about 24 hours in an open container), although I often think about doing this for the water in the dish. The chlorine, etc. does not seem to bother the torts, however.

According the hermit crab site I use (http://www.hermit-crabs.com/care.html), the typical purple pet shop species does not NEED salt water in the same way that other species do, so I just never got around to offering it. It would probably be better for the crabs if I DID offer them at least a weekly soak/play time in a tub with a little salt water. (I wonder if the WHO electrolytic solution, without the sugar, would work as salt water?)

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
I use tap water for everyone, I don't even age it first (which allows much of the chlorine to 'gas out' over about 24 hours in an open container), although I often think about doing this for the water in the dish. The chlorine, etc. does not seem to bother the torts, however.

According the hermit crab site I use (http://www.hermit-crabs.com/care.html), the typical purple pet shop species does not NEED salt water in the same way that other species do, so I just never got around to offering it. It would probably be better for the crabs if I DID offer them at least a weekly soak/play time in a tub with a little salt water. (I wonder if the WHO electrolytic solution, without the sugar, would work as salt water?)

Well unfortunately one of my Hermits is an Equadorian and didnt come from a pet shop. I wonder if he'll do fine with chlorinated water.

wildak

5 Year Member
I have well water but if you have city water you can fill a 5 gallon bucket and drop an air stone in it (bubbler) it's way cheaper than the chemicals and it works really fast. Just get some test strips to get an idea how long it takes.

I also read the other day how the purple pinchers don't need salt water But I too ended up with 2 of the noisey ecuadorians. I was going to put a cement block diaginal across the corner so they could walk through the hole to get to their water and hide and the tortoises can't. If you have small tortoises this may not work well.

I found mites on the crabs so I need to figure out how to rid them of these first.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
wildak said:
I have well water but if you have city water you can fill a 5 gallon bucket and drop an air stone in it (bubbler) it's way cheaper than the chemicals and it works really fast. Just get some test strips to get an idea how long it takes.

I also read the other day how the purple pinchers don't need salt water But I too ended up with 2 of the noisey ecuadorians. I was going to put a cement block diaginal across the corner so they could walk through the hole to get to their water and hide and the tortoises can't. If you have small tortoises this may not work well.

I found mites on the crabs so I need to figure out how to rid them of these first.

I read somewhere how to get rid of the mites but can't remember. Google it lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.