my redfoot need some serious help

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal
I just got a redfoot a month ago, he's roughly 9 months old now. he's eating less and it lasts for about a week or so, i'm not sure if this is due to i give him food everyday, so he's not really hungry or is this a sign of illness.

He doesn't like to walk around, for last couple days, he's always hiding in his shadow area. and he likes to "dig holes", the substrate i use is cypress mulch, it dig it all the way down until he sees the bottom of the wooden enclosure. Also he likes to bite those pieces, and sometimes he will eat it other than his delicious meal, is this normal?? when he chews on those pieces, sometimes i can here the sound and it's like foam collapsing.

His nose is dry, no watery eyes, no liquid coming out of his mouth either, but sometimes i can hear weird sound from his nose, it's like some liquid stuck inside and he's trying to breath it out.

the temperature is always maintained at 85-90, and shadow area is cooler, at night it's about 79. the humidity can't get above 50% for a long time, although i spray water on the substrate a lot during the day.but i do soak him often for 25 mins once a day or once in 2 days. I wonder what might cause him for those behaviors i mentioned above. Thanks in advance!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just got a redfoot a month ago, he's roughly 9 months old now. he's eating less and it lasts for about a week or so, i'm not sure if this is due to i give him food everyday, so he's not really hungry or is this a sign of illness.

He doesn't like to walk around, for last couple days, he's always hiding in his shadow area. and he likes to "dig holes", the substrate i use is cypress mulch, it dig it all the way down until he sees the bottom of the wooden enclosure. Also he likes to bite those pieces, and sometimes he will eat it other than his delicious meal, is this normal?? when he chews on those pieces, sometimes i can here the sound and it's like foam collapsing.

His nose is dry, no watery eyes, no liquid coming out of his mouth either, but sometimes i can hear weird sound from his nose, it's like some liquid stuck inside and he's trying to breath it out.

the temperature is always maintained at 85-90, and shadow area is cooler, at night it's about 79. the humidity can't get above 50% for a long time, although i spray water on the substrate a lot during the day.but i do soak him often for 25 mins once a day or once in 2 days. I wonder what might cause him for those behaviors i mentioned above. Thanks in advance!
Hi. Can you post a photo of the enclosure please. Also what are you using for uvb.

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Sounds like his enclosure isn't humid enough. If you have trouble keeping the humidity up try placing something over the majority of the enclosure. Would help to see pics. If it sounds like he's sqeeking while breathing might be respiratory infection

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
Hi. Can you post a photo of the enclosure please. Also what are you using for uvb.
i uploaded these pics, if there is any further info you would like me to include, free feel to let me know :p

IMG_0413.JPG IMG_0430.JPG 47CE1D94B49CCBAD7D97743A2AF7E054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
Sounds like his enclosure isn't humid enough. If you have trouble keeping the humidity up try placing something over the majority of the enclosure. Would help to see pics. If it sounds like he's sqeeking while breathing might be respiratory infection
i'm thinking to get a better enclosure to help with the humidity. As for the sound, it's rare to hear it, also the sound when you have something stuck in it, you want to blow it hard to get it out. it's completely dry from its exterior look though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A couple things, but the most urgent is the bulb. Get rid of that bulb immediately. Those compact fluorescent bulbs are known to cause painful eyes. That's why he's staying out of the light.

The other thing is the waterer. That's a drowning risk. It's much better to use a plant saucer - the sides slope to make it easier for him to climb into and out of.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
i uploaded these pics, if there is any further info you would like me to include, free feel to let me know :p
Ok. That uv is a no-no. It's been known to damage some torts eyes, so this maybe part of the reason your tort is hiding. It can dry out the layer of water over your torts eyes. Also humidity wants to be 80% +.
Your water and food dish it too high. They should be level with your substrate so your tort gets easy access.
What are you using to measure temps and humidity?
I would take the cyprus mulch out, put a 1 to 2" layer of coco coir in then put your cyprus mulch back in. But only cover about 2/3 of it with this. This will give you little fella 2 different terrains. He will then probably dig in the coir, not the mulch. Also I would put a flat Rock in there somewhere for him to wear his nails on. Feed on a slate or stone to keep the beak in trim, and make sure his water dish is big enough for him to sit in.
Kastly, 2 ways for you to keep humidity up, either cover the enclosure to create a closed system, or add some plants that create humidity. Remember to check humidity and temp at Tortoise level. No good checking 3" up the wall. Hope this helps.
Could do with a photo of the entire enclosure. Clock face gauges are no good, use digital.

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
A couple things, but the most urgent is the bulb. Get rid of that bulb immediately. Those compact fluorescent bulbs are known to cause painful eyes. That's why he's staying out of the light.

The other thing is the waterer. That's a drowning risk. It's much better to use a plant saucer - the sides slope to make it easier for him to climb into and out of.
thanks to point out. so what uvb bulb should be used instead?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok. That uv is a no-no. It's been known to damage some torts eyes, so this maybe part of the reason your tort is hiding. It can dry out the layer of water over your torts eyes. Also humidity wants to be 80% +.
Your water and food dish it too high. They should be level with your substrate so your tort gets easy access.
I would take the cyprus mulch out, put a 1 to 2" layer of coco coir in then put your cyprus mulch back in. But only cover about 2/3 of it with this. This will give you little fella 2 different terrains. He will then probably dig in the coir, not the mulch. Also I would put a flat Rock in there somewhere for him to wear his nails on. Feed on a slate or stone to keep the beak in trim, and make sure his water dish is big enough for him to sit in.
Kastly, 2 ways for you to keep humidity up, either cover the enclosure to create a closed system, or add some plants that create humidity. Remember to check humidity and temp at Tortoise level. No good checking 3" up the wall. Hope this helps.
Could do with a photo of the entire enclosure. Clock face gauges are no good, use digital.
Forgot, use a uvb strip light instead. Put heat and light at one end, try and get 80f to 88 across your enclosure. Your tort will be able to regulate its own temp then and seek light or dark as it wishes, put a hide at each end. He needs to hide and get good thermal temp correct. Put cuttlefish in for calcium at all times.

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
hmm seems everything is a mess lol, where can i get those supplies? bulb, dish, thermometer etc.. since the pet store sold me this, i won't bother to buy from them again

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
Forgot, use a uvb strip light instead. Put heat and light at one end, try and get 80f to 88 across your enclosure. Your tort will be able to regulate its own temp then and seek light or dark as it wishes, put a hide at each end. He needs to hide and get good thermal temp correct. Put cuttlefish in for calcium at all times.
if you can provide me some links for the light bulb and a better enclosure, that would be great. I have no experiences on what's good for them! i may choose wrong things again :(

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
if you can provide me some links for the light bulb and a better enclosure, that would be great. I have no experiences on what's good for them! i may choose wrong things again :(
I'm from the uk so I'm not sure where you guys get stuff from.
I would also use a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) on a stat to control the heat, then your light will come from the uv strip. Reds don't need a basking spot, just a gradient in ambient temp. Your other option is an mvb bulb, this provides heat, light and uvb in one unit. I don't use these though.

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
I would also use a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) on a stat to control the heat, then your light will come from the uv strip. Reds don't need a basking spot, just a gradient in ambient temp. Your other option is an mvb bulb, this provides heat, light and uvb in one unit. I don't use these though.
thank you so much, it's really helpful, i will ask around to find out where to buy those equipment

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Look at the same pet store they may still sell the long strip also amazon sells them I think proably the best option is to Google it

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
the water i give to him is maintained at around 20 degree celsius, is it a bit cold ?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
the water i give to him is maintained at around 20 degree celsius, is it a bit cold ?
I don't know what others do, but I just cold water in. The ambient air temperature gradually raises the water temp. I used to put warm water in(mix of cold tap and kettle water) but it evaporated too quickly within the enclosure. Putting cold in slows down that process. I've noticed mine don't bathe in it until its warmed up a bit. They will drink the colder water though.