Tort isn't active

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I have a one-year-old redfoot. I've had him most of his life. He's never been active, he's always just been buried somewhere in his enclosure. The temps range in his enclosure from 90 degrees down to 76 degrees, depending where you are in the enclosure (it's 30 sq ft). It's very humid. He has a 10.0 UVB light three feet above him, only down the middle of the enclosure. He's just never been active. Is this normal for a redfoot his age?

Bee62

Germany
I have a one-year-old redfoot. I've had him most of his life. He's never been active, he's always just been buried somewhere in his enclosure. The temps range in his enclosure from 90 degrees down to 76 degrees, depending where you are in the enclosure (it's 30 sq ft). It's very humid. He has a 10.0 UVB light three feet above him, only down the middle of the enclosure. He's just never been active. Is this normal for a redfoot his age?
It is normal when your tortoise is good eating. Redfoots are a specie that lives in rainforests. They like shady places, no bright light. My 3 year old redfoot tortoise sits mostly the whole day in her hide watching the world "outside". Only in the evenings she roams the enclosure for 10 minutes before she goes to sleep. The only thing that makes her leave her hiding place is her water bowl and food.

Attachments

• DSCN0523.JPG
    DSCN0523.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 25

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
It is normal when your tortoise is good eating. Redfoots are a specie that lives in rainforests. They like shady places, no bright light. My 3 year old redfoot tortoise sits mostly the whole day in her hide watching the world "outside". Only in the evenings she roams the enclosure for 10 minutes before she goes to sleep. The only thing that makes her leave her hiding place is her water bowl and food.

Thanks for the reassurance! I've always heard they're supposed to be one of the most active torts, so I was kinda concerned. He eats VERY well. He likes looking out from his burrows.

Bee62

Germany
Thanks for the reassurance! I've always heard they're supposed to be one of the most active torts, so I was kinda concerned. He eats VERY well. He likes looking out from his burrows.
My pleasure! When you want an active tort look for a sulcata. They are very active and love bright lights / sun. :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My Redfoot comes out and eats in the morning. Then sits under his CHE for about an hour. Then goes and sits in the doorway of his hide looking out all day. That's about as active as it gets for him.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Some days I wouldn't see my redfoot if I didn't feed/soak him, other days he's exploring the enclosure all day long.

In general though, he usually starts off the day with a bit of basking, then snacks on leftovers in his bowl from the day before, then digs into one or the other of his hides for much of the day.

Jamie