My Redfoot is Lost in the Backyard and I am worried about night time tempatures

Layla

10 Year Member!
Please don't get mad that she got lost, my elderly mother was watching her while she was out and looked away for a minute and she was gone. We have lots of plants and shrubs and four people spent a total of 2 hours or more trying to find her.

Its going to get to be around 58 degrees out there tonight and I am beside myself with worry. What will happen to her/

We are hoping she will come out of hiding and we will see her. I intend to sit up all night but what if she doesn't? She's my baby!

Thank you for any advise.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Keep looking ......I've been there done that ' ! ....
Wish you good luck!
(look in nooks N crannies ....)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just this past week I had a couple of baby leopard tortoises in their outside, covered pen. Next time I went out to look at them I could only find one. I ran my fingers over the whole pen, through the tall grass, but no baby. I figured he squeezed out between the shed and the pen wall. (The pen is butted up against the shed). I looked for him for several days in the big leopard pen, through 8" tall grass, but no baby. The baby had been kept indoors under lights and never allowed to get any cooler than about 80F. The nights while he was missing were high 40's low 50's. Needless to say, I thought he was dead.

So the other day I was running my fingers around the baby pen to find the one leopard baby I still had, and I found the lost baby, tight in a corner behind the real tall grass.

A long story, just to let you know that there is hope. But its not an easy job to find them. YOu have to get down on your hands and knees and feel all around under stuff and behind stuff and inside of stuff. My baby was only about an inch...a very tiny baby, and he survived the cool nights just fine.

Layla

10 Year Member!
thank you so much!!!! This does give me hope. I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow so I could stay home and search. I will try to find someone willing to do that for me. I just love my little girl so much and would be devastated to lose her.

Yvonne G said:
Just this past week I had a couple of baby leopard tortoises in their outside, covered pen. Next time I went out to look at them I could only find one. I ran my fingers over the whole pen, through the tall grass, but no baby. I figured he squeezed out between the shed and the pen wall. (The pen is butted up against the shed). I looked for him for several days in the big leopard pen, through 8" tall grass, but no baby. The baby had been kept indoors under lights and never allowed to get any cooler than about 80F. The nights while he was missing were high 40's low 50's. Needless to say, I thought he was dead.

So the other day I was running my fingers around the baby pen to find the one leopard baby I still had, and I found the lost baby, tight in a corner behind the real tall grass.

A long story, just to let you know that there is hope. But its not an easy job to find them. YOu have to get down on your hands and knees and feel all around under stuff and behind stuff and inside of stuff. My baby was only about an inch...a very tiny baby, and he survived the cool nights just fine.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
They can be extremely hard to find, but don't stop looking.
Look under and behind absolutely everything.
I would just keep doing it until you find him.

When the sun comes up and there is warmth, he may seek it out.
Good luck!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would be on my hands and knees and would not stop looking .

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Happened to me last week with one of my baby Bolivians. Both out in the sun and 10 minutes later could only find one. Hands and knees along every edge you have in the lost area. I panicked too because the temps were dropping that night, but after about 1 hr and 30 feet from last known spot I found him. Good luck and don't be too hard in yourself, as you can see we have all done it. Hope you find your little one. Keep us posted

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Get down low and just comb through your yard. It would be good if you had a few volunteer friends that could help you.

Good luck!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
My babies are in indoor enclosures and I often times cannot find them without running my hand around the enclosure.. one of them is *not* small but a very good hider!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I hope you found her by now!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
time to build a secure enclosure.. we are all human and get distracted and loose things... hope you find her... put out some food and look in sunny areas in the AM

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Did you located missing red foot yet? We all welcome you and wish a happy update. Best luck to you and your RF.