My Poor Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Arkansas
I'm sure poor tank is traumatized from this experience. My friends mother came over to see tank we were outside by his habitat. While we are all talking she leans down picks up tank and is dangling him and shaking him like he a toy. I took him away immediately and tried to politely explain that was not an appropriate way to be handling him or any other animal. Needless to say she left mad. My kids would've never done that and they are kids.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Wow. I probably would of tackled her if that was one of my babies. I applaud you for having such restraint and being polite about it.

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Wow, I would still be looking for my temper if that was me! How is he now??

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Good thing you were there....hope he's ok....I never let anyone touch little Benito when they ask cause its sad how people can be so careless with a living creature...you handled the situation much better than I think most would

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
He seems to be ok. He finished eating inside cruised the enclosure a bit and went to his hide. O I am very upset but my 8 yr old can have a very sharp tongue at times ( wouldn't have blamed her this time) and didn't want her to become aware of what had taken place. So to avoid my daughter being disrespectful I remained surprisingly calm.

We generally don't allow people to handle ours either. She never asked just did it without asking. I'm thinking of making a sign that says DON'T TOUCH!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm sure he will be fine, luckily they are little tanks. You did good and was able to keep your composer for your child. I wouldn't have been able to do that. I think my son and I both would have reacted more like you said your child would:D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Geez, poor tank and poor you for that awful shock!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Poor baby! You definitely handled it better than I would of!

Life is good

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Interesting??? It's instances where people show no sort of common curtiousy that I wonder what on earth the world has come to??? Simple things like may I touch your pregnant belly? Can I pet your dog? do you mind if I pick up your awesome tortoise that I know nothing about and shake it around? These are questions that people with a sense of common curtiousy would ask!!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I know exactly how u feel ! I don't like when people do that to my tortoises so this year I'm gonna make a couple of signs just to prevent Any more problems :/. I hope ur tortoise is ok :)

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Wow, I would expect that out of a young child but definitely not an adult!
Sounds like you handled that situation better than most of us would've.

Hope Tank is okay!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Um...is something wrong with this woman? Like mentally?

Any normal adult would carefully pick up an animal if given permission, maybe pet it, and put it back down.

I'm surprised your friend survived without being shaken to death as an infant.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
Tank is doing fine he munching around on some fresh greens and doing laps in his enclosure so comical.
I agree people have no common courtesy these days so we are getting material today to make a sign so there is no confusion anymore.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
That's good to hear. Personally, I'd distance myself from anyone who'd pick up one of my pets and shake it like a toy. That goes beyond "common courtesy". Sounds like a total screwball to be honest.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man,some people I could understand if it was a little kid but a grown women. I think I would have lost it and gave her an ear full.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
I think I would have grabbed my tortoise and shook her lol do and think later
glad your tank is ok
like others said some people are just clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.