My new Sulcata.

Mattymac

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver Wa.
Hello, my name is Matt and I live in Vancouver Wa. I purchased this sulcata from an ad on Craigslist, when I saw it I knew I could give it a better home than it had. The gentleman inherited it and just didn't know what he was doing. He told me it is 4 years old, is there any way to tell age or sex for that matter?
It currently resides in a 29 gallon aquarium and has only been eating iceberg and kale but that will soon change. I am in the process of building it a table to live in and next week I will add an inclosed inclosure to it. The box will be 4'x2' and the inclosure attached will be another 4'x2'. They will be arranged in an l so the tortoise will have a house and a open air section.
During the rest of this summer and winter I will be constructing an outdoor enclosure that will be huge and will have access to half of a very large shed where it will be able to be inside. I do have some questions regarding that due to the low temps and ungodly amount of rain but I will read more and try to find the answer. For now, here are a few pics:
I have it set up in the garage right now because that is the warmest place at the moment.

The start of a new home and appropriate water dish:

sageharmon

San Diego
That second pic
Is so FRICKING adorable!
You should keep him humid. There's some pyramiding going on:)
Still soooooo cute! Omg

Mattymac

Vancouver Wa.
Thank you, I just got a digital humidity meter I will be putting in his home. I think I will keep him in the aquarium for now so I can keep it up until I get the enclosure from my friend on Monday.

Mattymac

Vancouver Wa.
So about the outside part. Should I only have him outside on warm days and in the sun? What do I do if it's cold and rainy? I am converting a planter box for him to be outdoors that will include a hide and will be dirt filled.

Mattymac

Vancouver Wa.
This is the area that will be converted for him when he is larger

This is the planter box I will use as his temp outdoor enclosure. It's about 6'x3'

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He should have a shelter to get out of the rain that is heated if you leave out all day. Bring in at night for sure if you do not have a heated shed or large secure box to lock him up safe from predators (dogs, racoons, etc) the planter would work temp but its better to have more room to rome and graze. The space you have is great, suggest stacking some block around to create an escape proof area and let him out when you are home until you have a more secure area. Even a few hours a day would do wonders!

Mattymac

Vancouver Wa.
Sounds good, I will get to work.

One other question, should I be soaking him at this size? I thought it might help hydrate him?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yes, could not hurt! Especially since he looks to have been kept to dry. I would do everyday for a while, if his urates are creamy and not solid you can go every other. He may soak himself too so keep a dish big enough for him to climb into ( I am thinking that is what you had the plant saucer for that was in your pic)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I should have mentioned he should have shade too outside.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to theTFO from AZ . Great looking tort .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Mattymac

Vancouver Wa.
Ok, humidity is measuring 80% mid tank, the basking side is 95 degrees and the cool side is 81 or so.

I really have to get a larger home quick. I think now that he's warm, he's moving around a lot and digging. Poor guy, the old owner said he didn't do much, now I know why. :(

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Welcomr to the forum, you seem to have a good idea in looking after your sulcata, if you post a pic for its undershell then we may be able to sex him/her and be sure to read the sulcata caresheet :)

Mattymac

Vancouver Wa.
Today was he/she's first time outside and after a bit of waiting and jumping came out of it's shell! First thing, eat some grass! Yeah!
So I was told a sex might be possible with a picture of the underside of the shell:

Any thoughts?
Here is at first:

Then:

I also found today that he/she likes grape leaves, dandelions, and of course grass.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California