My New Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

squirtle

My new Russian Tortoise....

This is my newest tortoise.

I had a young Sulcata escape two months ago. A woman responded to one of my Lost and Found ads on Craigslist, claiming she found a tortoise a few months ago that that looked just like my little guy. When we arrived, we found that it was not even close to being my Sulcata, but the woman was desperate to rehome him as she isn't a "tortoise person" and had been trying to find his owner for 2 months with no success. I was so disappointed it wasn't my missing Sulcata, but very happy to have Ted (haven't renamed him, yet!!!) in our family!

This is my first Russian. I have researched the heck out of them the past few days, but could always use input from your experiences!! So far my main impression is that he is a total character...a little bruiser with a strong will. He has escaped twice into the Sulcata enclosure. I woke up this morning and couldn't find thim anywhere....finally found him sleeping next to my Sulcata in the adjacent enclosure! I am still not sure how he escaped....he didn't burrow! But i have bricks to add so he cannot see the Sulcata from his area...maybe that will help!100_2908.jpg

Attachments

• Tort.jpg
    Tort.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_2924.jpg
    100_2924.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 100B2910.jpg
    100B2910.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Poor guy, I am glad he found you. I personally think they are very curious little buggers, mine go to the funniest places when they have free roam of the yard or if I let them run the house. They love the back of my computer for some reason?? And they always cuddle on top of or next to each other?? I like the www.russiantortoise.org site. Carolina pet supply has a book on Russians. They also have wonderful foods for the russians and other torts. Good Luck with your little guy. And I am sorry you haven't found your sulcata.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Good luck with finding your sulcata.At least we now that that russian is in good hands.He's a good looking tortoise.He's needs a wash.So it's a he right?Wasn't sure.

S

squirtle

Rees2 said:
Good luck with finding your sulcata.At least we now that that russian is in good hands.He's a good looking tortoise.He's needs a wash.So it's a he right?Wasn't sure.

Thanks!!!

I am trying to get him a little healthier before I wash him...he has surfboard wax all over his shell. His shell is a bit soft right now, so I am trying to get some nutrients in him before I pick at his shell too much! And he always has soil on him because he loves to burrow and play in the dirt!!! It seems to be a he....and he exhibits typical male mating behavior when he sneaks over to visit my older Sulcata!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry the lost one is still missing. Glad you have this new guy to bring delite to you and for you to give him life. Surfboard wax huh...so was he trying to become a TMNT extra?

I think you will find that the Russians are one of the best escape artists around. Had to imagine that with their body type, but they get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.