Help! Tortoise escaped outdoor enclosure

macyfidlerr

Location (City and/or State)
Longview, TX
Today, just a couple hours ago, my tortoise escaped his outdoor enclosure. There is a hole underneath it that he possibly could have gotten underneath that I did not see until now. I have checked my neighbors backyard where he would've escaped to, and checked shady areas because it is very hot out and he burrows. Any other advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let neighbors know and look/feel in all shaded areas. If it's really hot, he will seek shade. In a couple hours mine was found a block over, so look further then you think he could have walked. You'd be surprised how far they will go. Also put up lost posters in your block.
If you don't find him today, look first thing in the morning when he might be warming himself from the cooler night. Also tomorrow if you haven't found him, notify any close vets and pet rescues.

macyfidlerr

Longview, TX
Let neighbors know and look/feel in all shaded areas. If it's really hot, he will seek shade. In a couple hours mine was found a block over, so look further then you think he could have walked. You'd be surprised how far they will go. Also put up lost posters in your block.
If you don't find him today, look first thing in the morning when he might be warming himself from the cooler night. Also tomorrow if you haven't found him, notify any close vets and pet rescues.
Thank you!! Will do!!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Look around the perimeter of the yards you check, mine usually find a wall/curb/line of some sort and just follow it.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Check the enclosure again. Could he have just come back in?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Several of us found our tortoises had come back a couple days later. I guess they get thirsty or hungry do keep checking around his area...also check Craigslist for "found tortoises" or for sale tortoises in case he was stolen for resale....