My new RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
Inherited dead lady's red foot

I am new to this tortoise thing and am clueless. All of the websites all say different things. This tortoise is believed to be between 20 and 35 years old and was kept in an enclosure about the size of a small catbox(not much larger than the tortoise). We now have it in a plastic kids pool with ash mulch as that was what it lived in before. We plan to build an enclosure, but we are wondering if he can walk around the house? Will he poop all over? Are the carpet fibers bad for him? Can the cats hurt him? Will he get bigger with a larger enclosure? Also he was being fed frozen mixed veggies, does anyone have suggestions about changing his diet slowly or even at all? Will he chew on electrical cords?

Attachments

• IMG_4957.JPG
    IMG_4957.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
I'm new and have some questions about my new red foot. He is between 20-35 years old and was kept in a cat box just enough for him to turn around in. He was fed frozen mixed veggies. I don't know much about him otherwise, we inherited him from a lady who died in our apartment complex. His name is Footlocker and he responds to it. How can I change his diet, what should I feed him? Can I let him out of his new enclosure(a blue kids pool with ash mulch)? Will carpet fibers hurt him? Can the cats hurt him? Will he chew electrical cords?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi MrsGreen:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I'll defer to our redfoot keepers to answer your questions.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
BEAUTIFUL!!! You are lucky that he looks so nice if that was really his situation.
This is a great site for reference http://tortoiseyard.com/diet.htm
on what to feed....make sure you are getting protien in or they can suffer
physical effects (leg paralysis)...some people use large items (mice, hard boiled eggs, chicken etc.)
I prefer to use insects and eggs myself....but then my babies are young :)
Also introduce fruits. the site will break it down day by day.

I would let him out as much as possible and start soaking him regularly in warm water.
Watch the carpet for ingestion, but more for snagging nails and scales.
Keep him away from electrical cords....its not worth finding out :)
CONGRATS on a beauty!!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
If you can afford it, I'd purchase copy of Mike Pingleton's book:
http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm

This is worth every penny, it will answer all your basic husbandry needs.

In the meantime, you want to keep your enclosure around 85ºF with a relatively high humidity (at least 60%, greater if possible). A water dish needs to be available at all times and diet should consist of 80-90% greens (Dandelion greens, Turnip greens, Collard Greens, Chicory, Grape Leaves, red leaf/green leaf lettuce, Kale, etc.) 10-15% fruit (low sugar, is best - papaya, acorn & butternut squash, bell peppers, etc.) and 5% or so protein (insect larvae, cooked meats, boiled egg, etc.). I feed my two cherryhead hatchlings greens everyday, fruit once every week or two, and protein ~ twice per month. I'd ditch the frozen veggies if you can in the near future and switch to some fresh greens.

Prepared diets are available, I try to use them sparingly, but there's nothing wrong with them. I'm particularly impressed with Zoo Med's Forest Tortoise Diet and my tortoises, seem to be as well. I feed them this ~ once per week. Mazuri tortoise food is another good option for prepared diets, it's a bit less natural (essentially dog food for tortoises) so I use this once per month, but it's a personal preference.

I always seem to steal his thunder on this, and I hope he doesn't mind, but Madkins has a website that I would highly recommend you delve into when you can. I'd pay particular attention to the diet and look at the "shopping list" for good foods. There's also good information on enclosures here on the forum and on his website:
https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/

Your tortoise looks pretty large, I don't think it will get much bigger. Usually redfoots remain around the 12-16 inch SCL (Straight Carapace Length), yours looks to be about there and shouldn't get too much larger in a bigger enclosure (which I'd definitely provide if possible).

UVB lighting is controversial, but I'm a firm advocate for providing it. A tube florescent bulb is good (http://www.petmountain.com/product//11442-504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-bulb.html) stay away from the compact florescents (coil bulbs). I run this bulb and a Mercury vapor bulb (http://www.petmountain.com/product/...amp.html?utm_source=gcs&utm_term=11442-107801). Outdoor enclosures and natural sunlight are the best thing possible, but this isn't always possible in temperate climates.

Visit Madkins' site as a starting place and get a copy of Mike's book if you can. I realize the copious amounts of conflicting information, it can be tough.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
RE: Inherited dead lady's red foot

MrsGREEN said:
I am new to this tortoise thing and am clueless. All of the websites all say different things. This tortoise is believed to be between 20 and 35 years old and was kept in an enclosure about the size of a small catbox(not much larger than the tortoise). We now have it in a plastic kids pool with ash mulch as that was what it lived in before. We plan to build an enclosure, but we are wondering if he can walk around the house?

Yes, as long as his needs are met- warmth, humidity, lighting, etc., has a water source it can easily get into, has some good hides, etc. Unfortunately, most of our homes are not warm enough, humid enough, well-enough lit, etc. to keep the tortoise comfortable.

Will he poop all over? Are the carpet fibers bad for him? Can the cats hurt him? Will he chew on electrical cords? (Moved from bottom)

Yep, yes (as are dust bunnies, cat hairs, etc.), probably not at that size, and sort of but not really.

Will he get bigger with a larger enclosure?

Not automatically, but with better cares, it will likely start to grow again.

Also he was being fed frozen mixed veggies, does anyone have suggestions about changing his diet slowly or even at all?

Yes, change the diet but don't worry about doing it slowly. Get it going on a diet heavy in greens (leafy lettuces, turnip greens, collards, kale, dandelion greens, edible flowers, leaves of things like mulberry/hibiscus/grapes/etc.) The Tortoise Library, linked below, has lots of diet articles and links to even more.

I should warn you. Tortoises, especially indoor tortoises, are not an easy pet although lots of people will tell you they are. Think of it like a salt-water tank in terms of difficulty. You are also doing a rescue, so the poor guy is going to have some issues you would not see in a younger, healthier tortoise.

People like Yvonne and Kristina can offer advice on rescues and dealing with health issues from poor care if you need.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Welcome! I don't have RFs but it looks like youve gotten some great advise, just wanted to congratulate you on the beauty :tort:

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Welcome !

I have not much more to add apart from what some already had said here; go through Matt's site and you will find most of the answers you're looking for. I would not recommend having that redfoot walking around the house though...

But from the picture, one can see that the shell doesn't look that bad (and I doubt that the tortoise only has been fed frozen food?) since it actually has growthlines already ! And my 2 Swedish krona guess is that it's a Redfoot Cherryhead ?

Good luck

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi MrsGreen:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I'll defer to our redfoot keepers to answer your questions.

I am Jamie, we live in MN. I have only kept cats my whole life and we failed a few baby frogs this summer, but I hope Footlocker will be okay. You guys are all a great help. Currently he has been moved to a temporary home. larger than before in a blue kids pool with ash mulch and a heated blanket underneath it. We plan to build a terrarium and keep him out on the deck for our humid MN summers. I have yet to go to the store to get leafy greens. Do they like toys?

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
Welcome !

I have not much more to add apart from what some already had said here; go through Matt's site and you will find most of the answers you're looking for. I would not recommend having that redfoot walking around the house though...

But from the picture, one can see that the shell doesn't look that bad (and I doubt that the tortoise only has been fed frozen food?) since it actually has growthlines already ! And my 2 Swedish krona guess is that it's a Redfoot Cherryhead ?

Good luck

What are growth lines? Can we find out how old he is?

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
I just gave him a bath, but his shell still looks a bit dry and scaly. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do besides keeping it humid? I know he isn't supposed to stay wet or anything, but I also don't think his shell should be so rough either.

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
Irwin4530 said:
BEAUTIFUL!!! You are lucky that he looks so nice if that was really his situation.
physical effects (leg paralysis)...some people use large items (mice, hard boiled eggs, chicken etc.)

I would let him out as much as possible and start soaking him regularly in warm water.
CONGRATS on a beauty!!

Should he eat cooked or raw chicken? Or would you just suggest hard boiled eggs with shells?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
all i can sayh,
What a beuaty!

MrsGREEN said:
Irwin4530 said:

CONGRATS on a beauty!!

Should he eat cooked or raw chicken? Or would you just suggest hard boiled eggs with shells?

i feed boiled chicken.
boiled eggs i take away the shell.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Chicken/eggs: I usually used cooked strips I get off the salad bar at the store, but there is no major reason it has to be cooked- just not fried :). Eggs are generally offered boiled or lightly scrambled with some shell.

Humidity: There are lots of ways to increase humidity. What is your situation like? A warm room you can humidify? Can you put a tent or something around the pool to trap heat and humidity?

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Chicken/eggs: I usually used cooked strips I get off the salad bar at the store, but there is no major reason it has to be cooked- just not fried :). Eggs are generally offered boiled or lightly scrambled with some shell.

Humidity: There are lots of ways to increase humidity. What is your situation like? A warm room you can humidify? Can you put a tent or something around the pool to trap heat and humidity?

Well, we are planning on building the enclosure next weekend. We just have it humid in the house, we have the humidifier going as well as turning the shower on and letting it run hot every so often, I am also misting him every few hours because his shell looks brittle in between the circles. I plan on bathing him every morning until it looks better. I now have him eating greens, but I don't think he has really eaten at all. I have only had him 2 days now, so I have yet to figure out his schedule. As far as a bath in his home, it's not going to work out so well. I just have to give him a dip every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.