Help with new rescue RF

Ashleydearx

Location (City and/or State)
Chattanooga, TN
Hey everyone, we just got a rescue redfoot. I believe it is a male, not entirely too sure. No telling on the age. He is 9incjes that i measured, and I’m pretty sure he is a wild caught tort. Well He has been very scared since we got him & that’s ok he’s in a new environment and everything. I know it will take him time to adjust. I have been soaking him everyday, he hasn’t had any Bowel movements or urates while he has been smoking. Also He hasn’t ate since we got him Saturday. Well he finally ate some bites of carrots tonight. While he was eating he had a nasty looking watery stool???

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your not going to see urates with redfoots. At least I never have with mine. I would give him some time to settle in. They don't like when their environment changes and they will sulk. Get his diet right then see if he's still going diarrhea.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He's bigger so you won't have to worry about Pyramiding too much. They do like high humidity 60%+. I see your in Chattanooga, im in North GA our weather is similar. If you can build him a pen outdoors for the summer that be best. Feed him a wide diet. Redfoots can eat much more than other torts, like proteins and fruit. Some of the things I feed are dandelion greens and flowers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, mulberry leaf, romaine, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, arugula, carrots, Papaya, strawberry, blueberry, pear, melons, squash, cucumber, Opuntia, Mazuri, and once a week you should feed them a protein like Earthworms, plain cooked chicken, cooked shrimp, and scrambled or hard boiled eggs.

Ashleydearx

Chattanooga, TN
Yeah that’s on my list to do this weekend, is fix him up a nice enclosure outside since he’s bigger. And thank you so much. I’m going to try feeding him some more of those things. I have no idea what the person who had him before was feeding him or anything. I’m hoping after some time he while come around. Is your RF social with you? My Russian is very social and friendly

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh yeah, they're very sociable, and once he learns your the God of food, he'll probably be chasing your around the yard lol.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
Hey everyone, we just got a rescue redfoot. I believe it is a male, not entirely too sure. No telling on the age. He is 9incjes that i measured, and I’m pretty sure he is a wild caught tort. Well He has been very scared since we got him & that’s ok he’s in a new environment and everything. I know it will take him time to adjust. I have been soaking him everyday, he hasn’t had any Bowel movements or urates while he has been smoking. Also He hasn’t ate since we got him Saturday. Well he finally ate some bites of carrots tonight. While he was eating he had a nasty looking watery stool???

My rescue was the same way when I got him about 8 months ago. He's still pretty timid but has gotten better with people. Mine lived in a school courtyard for about 10 years and is thought to be a 25 year old wild caught. He hated any human interaction and didn't do anything for about a week. Luckily he has opened up a lot since then and even lets me pet his head now. Just give yours a bit of time, he'll eventually realize you feed him and will open up to you a bit. Also try to find out what his favorite foods are. Redfoots can eat a large variety but I learned mine absolutely loves berries, banana, pumpkin and sweet potato.

Also determining gender on full grown redfoots is pretty easy. Usually if the shell underneath dips inward it's a male. Mature males have concave indersides to "mount" females. However if it's a younger redfoot you won't be able to tell as easily.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Your not going to see urates with redfoots. At least I never have with mine. I would give him some time to settle in. They don't like when their environment changes and they will sulk. Get his diet right then see if he's still going diarrhea.

I had to rearrange a couple plants and add bigger food and water dishes. Winston did sulk for sure lol. He hit for a day too. He goes to drum and eat and then like everyone said watches the world from his hide.

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC
I have been soaking him everyday, he hasn’t had any Bowel movements or urates while he has been smoking.

@Ashleydearx It is strongly advised not to allow your tortoises to smoke, nor should smoke them. ;)

Out of curiosity, what were the circumstances of his rescue? Who did you get him from, and what did they know about his prior situation? He's a cutie!